Gar's do jump!

Bartkee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2008
Amsterdam
hey guys,
just for youre info.
my spotted gar (6,5 '') jumped out of my tank when i was playing on my xbox (winning ofcourse).
fortunatly he survived, seems fine now.
so if u didnt knew it yet.
gars can jump out of tanks

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
heh, we all know man
good that its doing well though

frnchjeep

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Ct
I used to have a pair of florida gars that jumped out at almost every feeding. They are tough fish, as long as they don't land on their snouts.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
glad to hear the fish is ok...but this is definitely obvious information...anyone keeping a gar should know this about these fishes before taking them on. hopefully your tank is securely covered and (if it's over 12" long) covers weighted or taped as gars are strong enough to push open even glass tops.

it should be posted in any and every fish-keeping book that ANY fish can jump out of a tank, so securely covered tops are a necessity. good luck with your gar in the future--
--solomon

Ians aro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
haha...what game were you playing? he was probably jumping and yelling to shoot the guy behind you! lol. naw, good to hear it's ok.

nguyenz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2008
Vietnam
I used to have an alligator gar 8 inches jump out of a little 1 inch hole. dried up on the ground behind tank stand. found it 2 weeks later. I thought it died and someone threw it away.

vicdeedee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2009
toronto
my gar hasent jumped but he wakes me up every night, splashing water on the floor or slapping his tail on the surface

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store