:( My new one eyed gar!

fishman646

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
In the fishroom
Ok so I just went to feed my 7 inch F/s gar and to only find out that something took his eye.....literally he is missing an eye what should I do have you ever had one eyed fish survive?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
There's a lot of one-eyed fish. What else do you have in there with the Gar? Bump up the temp and add some salt and/or Melafix.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
don't add melafix...it generally isn't a great idea with gars and won't help a ton in this case anyway. add salt if you like, but the fish should be fine. the pbass are probably the culprits, another case for the support of NOT keeping gars with pbass. gars are generally not advisable with rays either.

if you don't want a completely blind gar, i would separate it. good luck--
--solomon

Player_Hater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Melbourne
went through the same issue as u years n years ago.. 10" spotted with a Giant Gourami 12". my giant gourami sucked out 1 eye which didnt really effect my gars hunting or eating habits... he just looked a little funny. a few days later the giant gourmai took out its other eye.
So i had a 10" blind spotted.. got rid of the giant gourmai and i used a chop stick 2 feed him there after. poked a prawn with it and touched his nose. Still didnt effect his eating habits. Lasted me a number of months until it jumped and broke its back. He went very dark though.. almost blackish in color.

stevenrox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
I AM LEGEND!
yea hes going to survive i had a bichir who took out a feeder goldfishes eye but let him live

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store