20 gal African tank ideas

sharkbait08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
I'm new to the forum... I am in the process of setting up a 20 gal for africans. I was thinking of 1-2 Julidochromis transcriptus, 1-2 Neo. leleupi, a half dozen barbs... Maybe a brevis or 2. Do you think this will work? I'm open for all suggestions.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Well you got the right idea with small fish. I will start off by saying I would just leave the barbs out completely. I think they would look funny but I dont know much about keepting them with africans. I believe some Julies can have a bad attitude and are better off in species only tanks, but I have not kept them my self so I am sure someone on here will better know.

In my own opinion I would go with shell dwellers instead of rock dwellers. Things like lamprologus ocellatus, brevis, multifasciatus or any lamprologus species would make a good shellie tank for a 20gal. They usually have a lot of personality as well. Thats just my own opinion.

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
I would recommend 1 Juli... They get pretty mean when 2 are involved and in close quarters. As for Shell Dwellers? I can get you two babies for free if you want them. Hell, I'll even deliver them too. LOL You will need a few shells too if you want them.

I wouldn't do half dozen Barbs either. Again small size tank. Go for 3.

Calvis is something else you could do! Get a baby and it'll take a few years before they really grow.

sharkbait08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
I was told barbs would help bring the africans out of their shyness... also, I saw some pretty sweet looking green barbs!

sharkbait08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
orbit;2640523; said:
I would recommend 1 Juli... They get pretty mean when 2 are involved and in close quarters. As for Shell Dwellers? I can get you two babies for free if you want them. Hell, I'll even deliver them too. LOL You will need a few shells too if you want them.

I wouldn't do half dozen Barbs either. Again small size tank. Go for 3.

Calvis is something else you could do! Get a baby and it'll take a few years before they really grow.

FREE babies and FREE delivery?!? Can't pass that up LOL. :naughty:

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
sharkbait08;2640531; said:
FREE babies and FREE delivery?!? Can't pass that up LOL. :naughty:
I will if you really want them. The LPS sells them for like 15-20 each. Not sure why so much but my 'ol ladie's dwellers just had babies and she doesn't want them.

rayfong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2008
Edmonton, AB Canada
I've kept Julidochromis transriptus in a 20 gallon and they've bred. I've also kept Lamprologus multifasciatus in with them as well and they also bred as well. The leleupis will probably overun the tank though if they breed.

sharkbait08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
mike dunagan;2642067; said:
barbs are not really needed. With enough hiding places they will come out. Even if you have other fish in the tank the shellies will hid for a bit at first
Thanks for the info. I'm still thinking of the green barbs anyway... I really like them. It should not be a problem though, right?!?

sharkbait08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
rayfong;2643810; said:
I've kept Julidochromis transriptus in a 20 gallon and they've bred. I've also kept Lamprologus multifasciatus in with them as well and they also bred as well. The leleupis will probably overun the tank though if they breed.
Great info... Thanks!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store