demasoni/moorii compatabilty

spaulding

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
south bend, IN
i was curious if some demosoni could be mixed with a colony of tropheus moorii. i'm a bit new to african cichlids, and am having a hard time finding reliable info about many of them. i've been told that tropheus are terrors, but so far mine have been acting great with just minimal aggression to each other, and breeding. most websites seem to have such differing opionions on the demosoni i figured someone on here could help.

thanks

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
If it was me I would not do it. From what I understand tropheus do way better in a species only set up with a large colony. I don't know a whole lot about tropheus moorii, but I do know demasoni. They are nasty little fish I have one and he has a bad attitude. I think the mix would be a headache and just not worth it

MalawiTango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2008
N Virginia
I agree with ASH. Im sure someone somewhere has done it but I would say that in a setup like that neither species would prosper and you would have unnecessary casualties.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
A serious and expensive gamble.It sure would look awesome but Id put my money on it not working out.Im keeping both,not together,both beautiful fish.I wouldnt put them together but Id eagerly read about someone else doing it.And demand pics!:popcorn:

2poc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Ireland
I don't keep demansoni but I do keep Tropheus with mbuna.
Both species are bullies, the Tropheus take no crap & do fine...

Once the diet is Ok for the Tropheus they don't seem to have problems.
(That is not to say that demansoni will be Ok of course, just my experience)

The Aqualog book on Tropheus mentions that they go well with mbuna once you don't mind mixing fish from the two lakes & get the diet right.
This book is written by a Tropheus expert btw which I am absolutely not..

JamesRiggs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2008
Huntsville,AL
I wouldnt mix Tropheus with demasoni. I dont like mixing trophs with anything, period. Trohpeus like their room and their social structure is very complex. Tropheus can be kept in the lower pH range that the demasoni would like but they thrive in higher ph water like 8.9 - 9.4. IMO not a good idea.

MyJohnson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
Houston
if you like both the sp. then go for it!

I only keep trophs and petros. I have kept demasoni in the pass......really don't see the problem if you got tank space and numbers in each sp.

ph is really a non issue. I keep my trophs in 8.2-8.4 and they have no problems growing and breeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store