Pls help my gar...

crowxviii

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Philippines
I recently bought a new spotted gar. he's around 4 inches. my problem is that he's so motionless. Just lies above. rarely moves his tail to swim. and sometimes he gets carried away by the current of the powerhead. I believe he was not cared for very well at the lfs. he's so thin and looks like he's been starved too much.
I kept him alone in a 30g tank and left some small feeders. last night though i saw that he managed to catch one and eat it.
I hope he will be alright.
My question is that - will his body be affected if he was starved to much?
I need your suggestions on how to make sure i will be able to catch up for the loss. This is my first gar and i wanna make sure he lives... if you know what i mean. I will post his pic this afternoon. thanks!
more power mkf!:headbang2

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
Just provide food and watch...

At 4 inches Gar look skinny fresh from a LFS cause for them to feed them properly it cost money. Mine was skinny when I got him all of my Gars were but for the power of the filter to move him around I've never seen that

crowxviii

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Philippines
Here's the pic. image is poor due to my camera fone. sorry for that. but i hope you can tell me what you see and how do i act for now. thank you! :cry: he's still weak.

DSC02790.JPG

DSC02789.JPG

kjdboi858

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
san diego, Ca
if i were you ill feed him blood worms to pump him up, i bought a batch of spotted gars last year and thats all i feed them before they went on pellets.

mrhayeshimself

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
Sumiton,Alabama
probably just has been through a lot, I wouldnt be very happy at a pet store.
and I dont think anything would really starve itself to death, except models, but they're already dead on the inside.

CDickes1988

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
mrhayeshimself;2647402; said:
probably just has been through a lot, I wouldnt be very happy at a pet store.
and I dont think anything would really starve itself to death, except models, but they're already dead on the inside.
Haha :ROFL:

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
There is nothing wrong with the fish...
From the pic and everything you said it is just a small gar acting like a small gar. They don't move around much and generally do not use the caudal fin but rather the pectoral fins to move about. They also generally just lay around a lot. It really does not seem to show the typical signs of being underfed. It just looks like a typical small Lepisosteus at 4 inches.

Keep it in the 30 gallon till it gets some more size on it and it will be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store