Need some stocking advice

Oreo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2008
Baltimore
I have a tank full of misfits. Some will stay, some will go- eventually, as in later rather then sooner. Here's the current list:

8" goldfish
a coryadora
a ghost knife
a scat
a columbian shark cat

The tank is fresh water, sandy bottom with some live plants. Nice rock wall with some caves.

I really like the vivid blue, yellow, & red african cichlids but I don't know which if any would work in my tank & I need your suggestions. The ghost knife is reasonably peaceful as long as nothing else is picking on her. The scat is also fairly submissive and peaceful. The rest are very peaceful. I'm only looking for one, preferably in the 3"-8" in size.

What are your thoughts?

mfk4life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2008
California
your fish are all peaceful community fish. If you get a cichlid they may bully and kill your fish. I have no had a tank similar to this. But I had a pack of 6, two inch tiger barbs and they got destroyed by my 4 inch mbuna african over the course of a week, i seperated them. The corydora and columbian shark catfish should be fine because they are quick and can hide. ghost knife could hold it's own. Chiclids are fin nippers and territorial from my experience. and I do not believe they would be a good addition unless you, seperate your goldfish and scat from that tank you have setup.

Oreo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2008
Baltimore
I've been reading that "peacock cichlids" are less aggressive & can do OK in a community tank if they have space enough for their own territory- which they would in my tank. I've also been reading that peacocks are different then the more aggressive mbunas, but I still don't have a very good understanding of the differences between all the cichlids...

anyway...

Would a peacock cichlid do ok in my tank? 'Cause these seem to interest me the most in so far as they are very colorful & sized appropriately.

lilfats2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2008
Long Island
pbass eat fish that it into their mouths... FYI

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
1st of all the Scat needs bracksih water later on and the columbian shark. So figure what to do with them. You could add a peacock cichlid. The only worries are the goldfish and corydora. Both couldnt really fight back against a cichlid.

Off the top of my head, a Red Empress is a nice cichlid.

Oh, and Scats arent "peaceful", they can be but they can also be biters too.

Oreo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2008
Baltimore
I'm well aware about my scat & columbian. I took the larger of two scats back to the LFS yesterday. The two were constantly at each other & I was starting to fear that the larger was going to kill the smaller. Eventually the smaller scat will go back to the LFS too. But I'll keep him for a while longer.

The scats never bothered anybody else in the tank. They just fought with each other. The goldfish would bully both the scats around but wouldn't bite.

Unless someone tells me it's a terrible idea, I think I'm going to bring home one of these peacock cichlids tomorrow & see how it goes. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll just have to take him back.

NotoriousSway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Muncie, IN
8" goldfish - get rid of it.
a coryadora - Not sure but I would get rid of it.
a ghost knife - Might be OK for now, I have mine growing out with a breeding group of flametails (peacocks) but keep in mind they get up to 20inches eventually.
a scat - get rid of it, it need brackish water.
a columbian shark cat - get rid of it, it need brackish water.

I would browse through this link and see if you see anything you like.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=3

I would suggest a sunshine peacock or a blue neon.

By the way what size tank do you have? any other info would be helpful too.

Pyramid_Party;2647542; said:
Off the top of my head, a Red Empress is a nice cichlid.
This is not a peacock and gets big 9inches or more.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
I think you will be fine. The BGK should do fine and only thing you gotta worry about is when it grows to a max size. Some people keep saying they grow to 20-24 inch, but no one has proof. The only proof I ahve seen is about 16 inches, but this is an old BGK. And not all are liekly to reach that size. Keep the goldfish if you really like it, but keep and eye on it so it doesnt get bullied.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store