spotted gar q's

Aphilophus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Dodge Center,MN
i went to my lfs to see if they still had the two gar in today they only have one . The onr they have has a few abnormalities it has first a spinal deformity
where its head is pointing down only slightly also it has some gill curl.is this going to posse any health problems or is the gill something that may go away in the future like with cats i know the spine thing is here to stay . other wise the fish seems active and healthy, its also eating and growing. thanks for the advise. also he said he would give it to me at half price.

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
never seen a gar with gill curl personally. that's a bad sign. what is half price? if it's cheap enough you might try it but to me it would all depend on the price and the availability, i got my 3 for $10 each so it would have to be really worth it with all those things wrong.

cambo01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
chesterfield uk
i would be carfull about the spinal deformity could have broken / damaged its back swimming into the tank sides which could be an issue. if its cheep you could risk it

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
never seen a gar with gill curl personally. that's a bad sign.
Actually numerous reports of a type of gill curl in very healthy and very well cared for gars has been showing up more often as of late, Mostly from Aquaculture fish).. Tropicals, gators and not so commonly, lepisosteus seem to be affected. It is not necessarily bad. Really it is unclear what is causing it but it does not seem to affect the health of the fish.

The fish in question however sounds like it needs to be put down and out of it's misery.

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
Polypterus;2650305; said:
Actually numerous reports of a type of gill curl in very healthy and very well cared for gars has been showing up more often as of late, Mostly from Aquaculture fish).. Tropicals, gators and not so commonly, lepisosteus seem to be affected. It is not necessarily bad. Really it is unclear what is causing it but it does not seem to affect the health of the fish.

The fish in question however sounds like it needs to be put down and out of it's misery.
very interesting, did not know that. links for a good read?

Aphilophus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Dodge Center,MN
hay guys i could not resist so i bought the gar after watching him hunt down a rose the fish has full use of all fins and dos not act like he has a severely damaged spine. so right now hes settling in to his new home. i will post pics once he adjusts. got luck to as i explained my plans to an employee and he happens to have a 6 or so inch bowfin that i am going to pick up for free tomorrow. i also ordered a saddle back bichir i think species was p. endlicheri. he also said some times they come in as p.delheze
dont know for sure but both fish are on my list just wanted to let you guys know

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store