Amphilophus margaritifer

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Anyone know anything about these guys? I just found a photo in a PowerPoint slide show of Don Conkel's fish.

Don has them labeled as Astatheros margaritiferus, while www.cichlidae.com and www.fishbase.org have them as Amphilophus margaritifer, and their only photo is of the holotype.

Fishbase info here

Don's PowerPoints here

The photo looks like nothing I've ever seen.

Is this what they actually look like? Don has been known to miss label fish and even push hybrids, but I want that fish (if it's the real deal).

Reactions: Gourami Swami

capefeartarheel

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
LMU Lab
Modest_Man;2650893; said:
Don has been known to miss label fish and even push hybrids.
Really? Aside from mis-identifying 2 species and then acknowledging it, I dont think I would agree with that statement at all.

He has written books that even Wayne Weibel, chairman of the American Cichlid Association, consider "the only comprehensive book available in the English language on Central American cichlids", as well as discovering and naming more than a handful of species.

Ive not known of him to push hybrids or anything of the sort. I have however, seen inexperienced and envious people that dont have the knowledge and experience he has, play smear tactics with his findings and classing of cichlids.

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
capefeartarheel;2651056; said:
Really? Aside from mis-identifying 2 species and then acknowledging it, I dont think I would agree with that statement at all.

He has written books that even Wayne Weibel, chairman of the American Cichlid Association, consider "the only comprehensive book available in the English language on Central American cichlids", as well as discovering and naming more than a handful of species.

Ive not known of him to push hybrids or anything of the sort. I have however, seen inexperienced and envious people that dont have the knowledge and experience he has, play smear tactics with his findings and classing of cichlids.
How about selling Amphilophus "species conkelii" to my LFS? He has some awesome fish, and I've been a customer, but it is fair to have questions. I wonder about all the "wilds" he sells. The quality is often super and sometimes poor too -- never seems to be anything but an extreme. Some of the fish he ships to my area are really rough, but about 10% are the best I've seen.

Dmaan.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
Edmonton (CAN)
it does a have a pretty amphilophus like shape to him, no doubt about that.
i like it.
first time hearing about something like this.

modest man, the PUNNIEST MODEST MAN EVER, buy a pair, make babies.
send them to canada, somewhere in my region lol.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Whatever. Some people love Don, some don't. Guess I'm just inexperienced and envious. Let's keep this on track.

More info here but none of the fish look even remotely similar to the fish I posted above.

cookiemonster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Washington
The spangles on your photo look flowerhorn-ish :( but the body shape is nothing like it. I think they are legendary, the rarest of the rare.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store