Am I hurting my Dat? Help!

cbbuff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
Boulder, CO
I got a new Dat 10 days ago, and he has been looking very good (if pretty shy). I got a couple of clown loaches at the same time and they started very strong, but one died while I was at work today. The other 2 seem to have small white dots on the ends of the fins and are looking very erratic (swimming upside down, etc). Nothing on the Dat (although he seems to be scratching more - I might be being paranoid), the small electric blue JD or the plecos in there.

I'm thinking ich, so I bump up the temp to about 85 and add salt. I looked up treatment for ich stickied on the disease page on MFK and it said to add 2 tsp per gallon. That's a lot of salt. I put in about 25 TBSP for my 75G tank, which is only half the amount recommended, but all the salt I had.

Now that I look on the Dat pages, I see people recommending 1tsp per 10G for similar symptoms.

Now i'm concerned that I put too much salt in, and am debating a big WC. But I still need to solve the original problem. Advice from some old pros would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
cbbuff;2655949; said:
I got a new Dat 10 days ago, and he has been looking very good (if pretty shy). I got a couple of clown loaches at the same time and they started very strong, but one died while I was at work today. The other 2 seem to have small white dots on the ends of the fins and are looking very erratic (swimming upside down, etc). Nothing on the Dat (although he seems to be scratching more - I might be being paranoid), the small electric blue JD or the plecos in there.

I'm thinking ich, so I bump up the temp to about 85 and add salt. I looked up treatment for ich stickied on the disease page on MFK and it said to add 2 tsp per gallon. That's a lot of salt. I put in about 25 TBSP for my 75G tank, which is only half the amount recommended, but all the salt I had.

Now that I look on the Dat pages, I see people recommending 1tsp per 10G for similar symptoms.

Now i'm concerned that I put too much salt in, and am debating a big WC. But I still need to solve the original problem. Advice from some old pros would be greatly appreciated!!!
Why r u using salt if other fish are showing signs of whitespot?
Use white spot treatment and up the water changes.
no need for salt.
wouldn't worry though, dats are tough fish. I 've had em for 6 years, and none have ever caught whitespot. even in past, when i had smaller tanks, i had bad whitespot outbreak on 2 occassions, the tigers were always unaffected.:) but most of other fish died

what size is your dat?

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
Your dat is fine in salt. I always use salt and temp for ich instead of chemical treatment. I would continue what you are doing to get rid of it. The dat will be fine.

micstarz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Hong Kong
cbbuff;2655949; said:

It might be useful if you actually mentioned how your dat is behaving...
If he seems unbothered he will be fine unless you notice something wrong.

Don't use ich med! Your loaches are sensitive to it. (but then again they are also sensitive to salt)

Ade;2656249; said:
Why r u using salt if other fish are showing signs of whitespot?
Use white spot treatment and up the water changes.
no need for salt.
wouldn't worry though, dats are tough fish. I 've had em for 6 years, and none have ever caught whitespot. even in past, when i had smaller tanks, i had bad whitespot outbreak on 2 occassions, the tigers were always unaffected.:) but most of other fish died

what size is your dat?
Actually, upping the temperature and adding salt is a proven way to treat ich.

cbbuff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
Boulder, CO
Thanks for the help.

The Dat seems to be just fine. As I mentioned he seemed to be scratching himself on rocks a bit more than usual, although he often seems to do that right after eating. But I think I might be being paranoid, mostly he's acting normal.

No issue with the amount of salt I added? 25 tbsp in a 75G.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've always used 1 T for every 5g. So it seems a bit high, but as long as you do a water change, you should be fine.

cbbuff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
Boulder, CO
Ich seems to be gone. I lost 2 of the 3 clown loaches, but the remaining one is now behaving normally and everyone else looks great. The Dat is fat and eating pellets.

Thanks for all your help. Temp increase and the tons of salt seem to have solved it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store