food for gars

vicdeedee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2009
toronto
i just want all the other mfk's opinions on what they find best to feed their gars, what promotes health, appearence, activeness? i curently feed my alligator gar large feeders and he also likes to eat my oscars pellets.

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
^ +1, about the worse thing you can feed is live feeder goldfish. Give them a mix variety of frozens/pellets. I feed mine smelt, market shrimp, tilapia pieces and floating Hikari stix. I also mix in seachem vitamins on all the frozen foods. It's ok to feed feeders once in a while, but you risk parasite infection and there is not that much nourishment in feeders, especially goldfish.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
varied is the way to go. if you go with live, make sure to quarentine them first. I went on a trip and found out that my gar got parasites that im still trying to fight(at least i think its parasites) so be careful

vicdeedee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2009
toronto
ya i keep all my feeders for about 4 or 5 days befor i feed with them, i started with the shrimp and talapia but he will only eat them if i drop them on his nose, if they fall to the bottom of the tank he wont touch it

what pellets/sticks are you guys using?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store