Help with fish ID!

iamzrad

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2008
Southern Penn
I need help identifying this Hap.
That is all I know about him, the other thing is that he will have generally the same color variations as a german red peacock.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com

iamzrad

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2008
Southern Penn
No it's not the Regan cichlid...

All I remember that it was a Hap...

Here's my venustus navygirl,

*Still waiting for the blue to come out lol...

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Yes, Ladybarbara nailed it. When I kept juvenile Astatotilapia Latifasciata, they had the same coloration and patterns. Nice job well done. :thumbsup:

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Eläköön;2661589; said:
astatotilapia burtoni ?
brownae ?
It can't be a burtoni, for they have a yellowish to lime green body coloration and exhibits a rust red hue. It cannot be a brownae either, because they are pretty rare and chances of getting one is slim, plus brownae resembles the haplochromis thickskin with subtle differences. I believe astatotilapia latifasciata is the correct ID for the fish. I have kept latifasciata and have experience with them and have kept many juvies who resembled the same exact patterns, color, etc.

Eläköön

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2008
Aşgabat Türkmenistan
ive kept broanae. i only baught them cause they were the cheapest african at 3£.
it looks like Haplochromis 'thick skin' i think its called... thick something

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Eläköön;2665585; said:
ive kept broanae. i only baught them cause they were the cheapest african at 3£.
it looks like Haplochromis 'thick skin' i think its called... thick something
It's not a haplochromis thickskin. You can clearly see the differences when they are juveniles. I believe the latifasciata above is a juvenile female, as I had kept a group of juvies who had started to color at 1 inch while the females just stayed plain. I can understand how you can confuse the two, since they both are pretty similar and share the name "obliquidens" in the hobby.

Look below and compare the two fish. First profile is the Astatotilapia latifasciata and second is the Haplochromis thickskin.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1556
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1546

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store