Florida Gar

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
Hi All.

Before you ask, yes I have looked at a few different threads regarding these, but have not answered all my questions.

Tankmates is a rough subject, not really getting to the point IMO. I wanna ask, are cichlids and asian arowana okay fo them tankmate wise?

Baysnooks
Pearsai
Bocourti
GT
Green Arowana
Fei Feng (yellow tail)
Dat

???

Please give a detailed answer, not just saying yes or no, but telling me why please.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
E_americanus;2563635; said:
bad combination as just about all cichlid-gar combos are. if you have a choice in the matter ahead of time (as it appears you do), i would skip it.--
--solomon
E_americanus;2511687; said:
if the gar is even comparable size to the arow it may try to eat it if the arow doesn't grow fast enough. at that small of sizes the gar/arow combo is ill-advised as they seldom grow at the same rate in a tank at that size. i would wait until the arow is bigger OR just raise them separately until they're each about 8-10" (which, in both cases, shouldn't take more than a month or two)--
--solomon
E_americanus;2564987; said:
pbass(this applies to cichlids too) can be very aggressive and outcompete gars for food or spook them into breaking their backs. it's a bad combo, but test it if you want; good luck--
--solomon
how is this not getting to the point?

regarding asian aros and dats, it's do-able, but not in the gar's best interest. basically the same reason as cichlid combos, just not to such a great extent. as for the ff, i believe it should be fine provided the ff doesn't suck slime coats.

try this thread too, http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185244&highlight=cichlids

otherwise, if you have more qns feel free to shoot. good luck:)

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
Okay, thats to the point.

I heard that Florida Gars of all (except gator) gars are the best candidates for cichlids tankmates, as they live with PBass in the wild?

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Eric A;2663961; said:
Okay, thats to the point.

I heard that Florida Gars of all (except gator) gars are the best candidates for cichlids tankmates, as they live with PBass in the wild?
i wouldn't dare to call this a fact, but i would really doubt they would live in close proximity for extended periods of time. remember, in the wild, there is infinitely more space and hence food available at all times, compared to the stuff and starve methods used in aquariums. so either way, them coming from the same region would really have nothing to how they would react together in a tank

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
xander13;2663970; said:
i wouldn't dare to call this a fact, but i would really doubt they would live in close proximity for extended periods of time. remember, in the wild, there is infinitely more space and hence food available at all times, compared to the stuff and starve methods used in aquariums. so either way, them coming from the same region would really have nothing to how they would react together in a tank
Okay, so your saying the idea is a huge no no? Is there anyway I can keep it? Take a few fish? (what ones?)

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Eric A;2663973; said:
Okay, so your saying the idea is a huge no no? Is there anyway I can keep it? Take a few fish? (what ones?)
a lot depends on the tank size, food, feeding schedule and inhabitant sizes. but definately lose all the cichlids. you could keep the aro and dat, but with florida gars who dont get much mass, it's not in their best interest. go for a florida gar community, stunning, impressive and you'd have happier gars all round.

Mystus Redtail

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Fishing in Wisconsin
Bottomfeeder;2664176; said:
gar are nasty and get really big.
:screwy:

You should consider that you are posting this statement in the Gar forum where gars are dearly loved. A blanket statement on an entire family of fish is irresponsible and offensive. Thanks, but take it somewhere else...

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Mystus Redtail;2664196; said:
:screwy:

You should consider that you are posting this statement in the Gar forum where gars are dearly loved. A blanket statement on an entire family of fish is irresponsible and offensive. Thanks, but take it somewhere else...
whoah whoah whoah
you dont know what youre talking about
im not dissing gar or gar owners
"nasty" does not mean disgusting, it means aggressive
i love gar and every other fish the same
soooo:chillpill:
:irked:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store