Two big Datnoids gone, what is wrong?

aaandyyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
Cambs, UK
Hope somebody can help.

A week ago I noticed my biggest Dat. microlepis looking very lethargic and unbalanced. Nothing visible but this was after 3 or 4 days of not eating which was very unusual.

Overnight got rapidly worse, laying on its side and just hanging. No rapid gill movement, still nothing obvious. Transferred to another tank but it got worse and died overnight.

The aquarium is 1600 litres, filtered with 7 large externals (Eheim 2080's and FX5's) plus 3 internal filters. Water parameters are:

pH - 7.0
NH4 - 0
NO2 - o
NO3 - 40-50mg/l
PO4 - 50mg/l
KH - 40mg/l
GH - 360mg/l
Temp. 26 Celsius

Inhabitants are:

Datnioides pulcher x 2 - 35 to 45cm
Datnioides microlepis x 6 - 10 to 25cm
Datnioides undecimradiatus x 4 - 10 to 25cm
Matacembelidae x 3 - 30 to 40cm
Mastacembelus erythrotaenia x1 - 60cm
Polypterus ornatipinnis x 1 - 45cm
L-numbers x 4 - 10 to 20cm
Clown loach x 12 - 10 to 25cm

Yesterday the same happened to one of the Dat. pulchers (not included in the 5 above). Symptons identical although some spasmodic twitching was noticed.

Possible clues.

Ten days ago a large portion of live river shrimp were given. These were all eaten rapidly, mainly by the Dat. pulchers and the dead Dat. microlepis. However, also eaten by all the other fish and they appear to be fine, still eating well including the clown loach and Dat. undecimradiatus which I have always thought to be the weakest of the Dats. These were also eaten by the other three Dat. pulcher in another tank and they are fine too.

Also ten days ago, a new delivery of frozen lancefish arrived. I have had problems with these in the past when they have obviously been defrosted and then refrozen but these were still frozen individually, smelt good and produced no cloudiness in the water they were defrosted in. Again, these have also been eaten by the other Dat pulchers and also the Dat undecimaradiatus in this "problem" tank and these fish have no problems.

Anything bacterial I would expect to affect the Clown loach first, surely the most sensitive fish in this aquarium?

This evening I noticed the next largest Dat microlepis looking "off-colour", just hanging in the water.

Several 30-40% water changes have been carried out over the last few days and, in the absence of any symptons, the water has been treated with Esha 2000 for possible bacterial problems.

I could transfer the fish to other aquariums but I have several problems with doing this:
1) Will I transfer whatever the problem is to the other tanks.
2) The other tanks will then be overloaded and will need the filters from this tank to maintain them, could the problem be within the filters and by doing this, again risk transferring the problem?

I think that is all the information I have available. Any questions please ask. Any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks

20090119_1.JPG

20090119_6.JPG

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The only thing I can think of is parasites and/or just bad food poisoning. I think Jungle has some good meds for parasites. Good Luck.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Oh man, you must be very worried by now. :(

At first i thought it was your big NGT, attacking the dats, as you mentioned to me he has become quite a bully in recent weeks, but you must have moved him to another one of your tanks, as he is not on the list. So whilst he might have killed the Indo, we can rule him out re: the widebar.

It's unlikely to be food poisoning, as the other fish are ok.

Which leads me to beleive its the water quality... a bacterial infection, which the Esha should sort out.
Continue to do water changes and DON'T FEED FOOD FOR 1 WEEK...Just to maintain water quality. The starve will rest the dats digestive systems. And Dats your size will do fine 1 week with no food.

Just thinking, u mention you have done larger than usual water changes....are you dechlorinating before adding water back in or after the water has gone in? For 1600L tank, doing this will not harm fish if your only chaning say 20% water, but if your doing 40 to 50% wc = adding up to 700L of NON-dechlorinated water... then this may be detrimental to the fish/dats ...

Would n't recommend moving any more fish, may add to stress and, filtration won't cope in the other tanks.

I must admit, I am baffled, as your no stanger to keeping monster fish, especially tigers. Really hope everything stabilises back to before mate.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Not an expert but i think its parasites....i had something simular happen to some of my dats and it ended up being parasites.

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Any of the fish in the tank new?

aaandyyy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
Cambs, UK
Nothing new for 3 or 4 months.

A vet suspects septicaemia of some form. I am now injecting anti-biotics, not something I would recommend trying.

brandon1393

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2007
ohio
Dude sorry for you loss :(

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
Thankfully, I have only had one episode of illness in my Dat tank...but it was a bad one. All hell broke loose with multiple symptoms manifesting themselves. First, I would suggest to you that symptoms such as ich (white spots on fins) and eye cloudiness indicate secondary infections which result when the health of the fish has been compromised by a primary infection or by a suboptimal environment (bad water chemistry, temperature too cold, etc.). In my case, the first fish to manifest ich also exhibited ulcerations on the tail stalk. I immediately suspected "Dat Disease", which has been correlated with a protozoan. So, I administered Jungle Labs Parasite Clear...which is a broad-spectrum paracide. A couple of days later, the other Dats exhibited ulcerations in the head area and their eyes began to cloud. I then administered a single dose of Triple Sulfa, an antibiotic, for the secondary bacterial infections. The symptoms rapidly cleared and I lost only one fish.....five survived.

Based upon your description, I suspect that an infectious protozoan was transferred from the gut of one of the foods (maybe the live shrimp). If the lancefish were uncleaned, they could also conceivably contain viable encysted protozoans within their gut. I would recommend that you use a combination therapy consisting of a broad-spectrum endo and ecto paracide coupled with a broad-spectrum antibiotic, such as Triple Sulfa. I would also terminate feeding anything other than comets and cooked shrimp. I don't think you will need anything other than a single dose of each med type. After one week, proceed with water changes. Fish physiology is complex and alien and often defies explanation. You will never know why some fish were infected and others were not. Interestingly, with Dats, once you turn the corner, they seem to bounce back very rapidly.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
andy thats really sad, as advised it must be some sort of contaminant or parasite possibly added with the food.
i have never come across with before with datnoids but have seen similar issues with this type of food with rays both mine and someone i know.
i managed to wipe out 2 motoro rays due to bad mussels or whitebait and a friend did the same yet all other fish in the tank that did not eat these foods were fine along with the water.
i take it all the fish eat the same foods that were in this tank, i do think not feeding and small very frequent water changes along with what you are doing should help but its balancing all this with keeping stress to a minimum thats the key.
hopefully thats the last losses you have due to this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store