Broken...

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
That has nothing to do with the Swim bladder (Which BTW is very different in gars from other fish) More likely the issue is an infection or blockage in the lower intestine / spiral valve.

Read some of the posts about SPWD's fish here and on AP. I give out a treatment for it.

Weylin

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2007
Inside a Bottle
Thanks Richard.. I already told the guy to do that...

So salt, +temp and tetracycline is the usual treatment for gars..and most problems..

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Weylin;2669048; said:
Thanks Richard.. I already told the guy to do that...

So salt, +temp and tetracycline is the usual treatment for gars..and most problems..
No it is not a treatment for all problems but is useful for this one problem when followed correctly. The level of tetracycline to salt mixture needs to be followed closely. The salts particularly the epsom will cancel out the Tetracycline if this is not dosed right with the water change schedule given. The idea is mostly to treat with the salts and then slowly apply the antibactrial treatment on a dosed schedule.

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
looks painful =(

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
i think it could be a combination of what richard said and a potential back injury...had to say for sure (at least for me) from just the video. notice that the pelvic fins are just flopping around...although these fins are not used as much as the pectorals in general movement, it looks like there are some control issues there...could be related to blockage and/or sprain/damage to the nerves in that area.

that being said, follow richard's suggested treatment since if there is other damage (i.e. sprain or break) it will heal on its own naturally if it's anything that can be recovered from--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store