Fishless Cycling

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Fishless cycling...

It has come to my attention, that there several times that I have had to explain "Fishless Cycling".

Every new tank, with new filtration, has to be cycled to be safe for aquatic life. What is meant by "cycled"?
"Cycled" is a reference to the Nitrogen cycle. This is the bio filtration that happens in our filters.
In short,
"Ammonia" (toxic fish waste) is converted by bacteria into
"Nitrite" (toxic as well) then converted by a second type of bacteria into
"Nitrate"(basicaly harmless in low concentrations) that gasses off in the Aquarium.

This read is not for the advanced water chemist, this read is directed to
those fishkeepers that do not know what the nitrogen cycle is, and have had problems with keeping fish alive and well in their new tanks and with new filtration...

OK to start off there are a few things that you are going to have to have PERIOD...
1)Water test kit (Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate)
2)patience
3)Commitment to cycle the tank completely
4)Pure household Ammonia (clear w/no soaps or fragrance)
a)shake bottle- if there are bubbles - no good
if it looks like water - way good
5)Aquarium needing cycling with the water set to 85 degrees F.
6)Filtration, installed and working properly.

First thing, first...
Bacteria thrives in water over 80 degrees F.
Make sure to set the temp to 85 degrees F.

Next you need to know how much water you have. Use the conversion chart here http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/calc.php

Once you determine how much water you have in the system, de-chlorinated the water with a de-chlorinator that does not contain anything that says "eliminates ammonia etc." I use stresscoat and I know that works.

Now, you'll add 5 DROPS of Ammonia per 10 gallons, no more no less. Pick a time of day that you'll be able to take readings, everyday, for a couple of weeks.

Do this everyday until you see a measurable amount of Nitrites.
When you have a Nitrite reading, this means you have started the nitrogen cycle and are effectively growing the Beneficial Bacteria, that converts the Ammonia into Nitrite. We are half way there.

Now you will lower the amount of Ammonia to 3 drops per 10 gallons per day. You will do this until you get a reading of
0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrites. ZERO means ZERO, no matter how long it takes to get there. You are now building the Bacteria that converts the Nitrite into Nitrate.

Ok, so now we are adding 3 drops per 10 gallons of water daily.
We are getting a reading of Zero Ammonia / Zero Nitrite and we have a Nitrate reading of 20-40 ppm. You are almost there.

You need to do a 50% waterchange with de-chlorinated water and adjust your temperature. Now is the time to get your fish. Acclimate them and get them in your properly cycled tank...enjoy them as they will be enjoying your correct water parameters...

I hope this gets you on the right track right off...If you have any questions PM me, I'll be glad to help out...

skrefany

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2006
Warner Robins, Georgia
www.myspace.com
Easy to read and very informative :popcorn:

I think this is the simplest version I have come across. Bravo for a very helpful MFKer!!:headbang2:clap:clap:clap:clap

Reactions: dr exum

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
This will also work if you have some bio-material (filter mat. or gravel from working tank) to help kick off the bacteria. This will make it even faster.

Dr Joe

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Dr Joe;2669713; said:
This will also work if you have some bio-material (filter mat. or gravel from working tank) to help kick off the bacteria. This will make it even faster.

Dr Joe

Yes...Seeding a new filter will speed up the process considerably.
I failed to add that to the original post....I was trying to keep it as simple as possible...;)

Basically, it's for the new tank/first tank folks. They are the ones who seem to be overwhelmed by the whole "Nitrogen Cycle" thing...

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
very informative, good job Ben.
What about those "bacteria in a bottle" type of products? Seachem stability is one and I think the company that makes stresscoat also offer one. Those should help speed up the process as well. I've used them before and they worked great. just add water, fish and a good dose of bacteria supplement.

Reactions: dr exum

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
jp80911;2669817; said:
very informative, good job Ben.
What about those "bacteria in a bottle" type of products? Seachem stability is one and I think the company that makes stresscoat also offer one. Those should help speed up the process as well. I've used them before and they worked great. just add water, fish and a good dose of bacteria supplement.
Really should be...
1) add water
2) add dechlor
3) add bacteria supplement
4) wait 8-24hrs to give bacteria time to establish themselves.
5) test water conditions & if ok add fish.

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store