Need a recomendation or two.

luckydud13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2008
somewhere, usa
I am setting up a 29 gallon tank. I am trying to mix a couple different species in one tank, so I am looking for small fish from lake tankanika. I want one species that will live in shells, FOUND, I am using multies, I am also looking for a fish that likes to hide in rock caves and might be a cave spawner or mouth brooder. And the last species I am lookin for is one that likes to inhabit open waters. This species isn't neccessary though.

Here is my stocking as of know, but I dobut it will work
A pair of julies
A trio (to start) of multies
And 6 Cyprichromis Leptosoma

Would that work? IF not please suggest me a species that inhabits those specific regions, thanks.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
I would think its not enough room for cyps.Smallest tanks I usually see them in are 4 foot they are active and need room.
Multies dont just stay in the shells,as they get comfotable and establish a few generations you see them more and more toward the middle of the tank.They would be pretty nippy toward anything swimming above thier shells in a tank that size.

JIM

Banned
Nov 5, 2008
Indiana
I question julies a little, in all the tanks i have them in they are somewhat aggressive, and might not play nice with the shell dwellers, Unless you like constant friction, Some DO....:naughty:

sharkbait08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
imo, julies and multies should be fine. I am in the process of setting up a 20 gal with them. So far I have a juli and some barbs... everybody just needs plenty of hiding places. Again, I think it would be fine... but I am new to africans... so what do I know?!? LOL.

luckydud13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2008
somewhere, usa
Anything else I couldhave besides julies and multies? Are both of those fish personable? Full of personality?

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
If you leave out the cyps, you can use smaller julies along with the shellies and there is agood chance of success

luckydud13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2008
somewhere, usa
I am replacing the julies with some mouth broders that are alot calmer.

Paracyprichromis nigripinnis

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store