Is my yellow lab dieing?

Poekin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
I bought 3 yellow labs about a week ago. They are very small, about 1" a piece. All 3 have been getting along great with my other fish, there is no aggression in the tank.

Today i noticed that one is swimming very still and near the surface. He/she stayed up there for a while and then retreated to about midway depth and went behind the heater. The other labs, along with all the other fish stay relatively near the substrate.

This single lab has just started to do this today/tonight. I checked my parameters and everything seems fine. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Fishyfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2006
CA
it sounds like its getting picked on, how big is this tank and what other fish do you have with them?

Poekin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
Oddly enough, i put a brine shrimp cube and he/she swam down to the bottom with the rest of the fish to feed and has been there ever since.

It was so weird to watch it just hanging out by the surface. Hadn't seen that before... but i've only had them for a week or so.

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
It does sound like hiding behavior. Do you have any caves for it to go into ? If not i would go get some rocks and after scrubbing the rocks with a stiff brush put them in the tank, arrange them to make caves. Be sure to put any bottom rocks down into the sand so the bottoms touch the glass (labs and others are diggers LOL). If you dont have access to rocks cause of snow you can get some clay flower pots or even bowls, vases or coffee mugs will work , anything for the fish to be able to get into. TRy to have more caves/houses than fish, face openings away from eachother so they cant see eachother.

Poekin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
Thats my tank. There are a bunch of hiding spots for the little guys. I checked this morning and the 3 labs were all hanging out together again... it was just very strange to see the one go off on a solo mission to the top of the tank for a while last night.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store