What have you got in with your Gar

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
I was thinkng of a peacock bass to go n wiith my gar and red tail X but think it may just be too big for the space but am lookin for something similar.
i am growing on one calvus in another tank at present bit it will take a ew more years yet as they are incredibly slow growers.

Any suggestions

What do you have with your gar which is not a cat?

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
get rid of the cat(s), gars do best with other gars, polypterus, african arowanas.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
vicdeedee;2674147; said:
i have a 4.5 inch oscar with my 14" alligator gar
no what you have, is a 14" alligator gar and a temporarily alive fish that is soon to be permanently out of service.

vicdeedee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2009
toronto
you know i thought that as well when my gf brought the oscar home, i told her it was an expensive feeder, but the way they act with eachother is creepy, the oscar rubs along it all day long and if i put in a feeder the oscar will grab it and bring it over to the gar, its pretty weird, but ya i think it wont last long but its my gf's fish so i cant take it out and she knows the risks so we'll see what happens

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Gars do best with other primitive fish such as polypterus, knifefish, arowanas, stingrays and other gars species. They also do well with modern fish such as datnoids non/semi-aggressive cichlid and some catfish but not the red tail catfish or any pims that might swallow the gar.

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
I can't see a full size lima eating a full size gar. If anything the opposite
The Pims pictus would never be a threat.

Agreed the Red Tail X is the one to watch later on:eek:

The Megalechis picta is basically a complete mouth of solid chain mail.

Anyway, if they all start i will throw in my full size Fahaka....:evil_lol:;)

Player_Hater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Melbourne
vicdeedee;2674309; said:
you know i thought that as well when my gf brought the oscar home, i told her it was an expensive feeder, but the way they act with eachother is creepy, the oscar rubs along it all day long and if i put in a feeder the oscar will grab it and bring it over to the gar, its pretty weird, but ya i think it wont last long but its my gf's fish so i cant take it out and she knows the risks so we'll see what happens
lol... sounds intresting

i have a green aro wif my gar and they do have a bite at each other once in a while but theres mutual respect atm , also have a 8" talapia marie also .. his the community beat up fish ..

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
I've had my Gars with just about everything from 2" African Dwarf Frogs to other Gars the only fish my Gars have ever eaten was a RTSN that was 3" and a 2" Rubberlip Pleco. There was a fight once with a Needlefish who thought he was gonna eat the Gar for dinner after not having any place to buy feeders for a week. He bit the Gar on it's tail fin and the Gar turned his head and just latched on to it's tail fin and almost completely ripped his entire tail off.

If you provide adequate hiding spots and swimming space Gars can get along with anything almost but I would never dare put a stingray in with one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store