Garfish with Garfish?

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
After a recent enquiry about compatability with a florida gar it was mentioned that another gar could be compatable.

Any deas on this guys

Thanks

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
any in the Lepisosteus should be fine. i think cubans and trops can go with them when all the gars have some size but i dont really know. xander on here keeps some cubans, gator, and i think a florida in there as well but youll have to ask him. hes always changeing some thing.:)

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2687500; said:
any in the Lepisosteus should be fine. i think cubans and trops can go with them when all the gars have some size but i dont really know. xander on here keeps some cubans, gator, and i think a florida in there as well but youll have to ask him. hes always changeing some thing.:)
i have 2 22inch cubans, an 18inch gator and 16inch florida gar in now. solomon's had the most combinations in his 120/270, gar den/gar den II.

http://aquaticpredators.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37470&hl=

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Slippery;2675255; said:
After a recent enquiry about compatability with a florida gar it was mentioned that another gar could be compatable.

Any deas on this guys

Thanks
as a general rule of thumb, any gar could be kept with another gar, as long as they aren't too differernt in size(take girth into consideration too) however, some species are more aggressive than others. not counting the hybrids, alligator gar are the most aggressive, followed by Cubans, and then i would assume followed by tropicals. but aside from some minor shredding, you should be fine.

as for your specific case, what are your tank dimentions, size of your current florida, and other tankmates? poly's are generally fine tankmates, but not puffers for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store