Yellow Regal & Sunshine Differences?

Alex422

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Illinois
I just got a male sunshine peacock and I was wondering how you can tell it apart from a yellow regal. The colors havent developed yet or he was stressed.

Anyone wanna tell me?

lee1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
paradise
The yellow sunshine golds are usually very bright yellow with a blue cheek and the yellow regal will be more of a orange yellow and some blue in the body.Their are so many variants in peacocks now that it is really hard to distinguish the many different names gived by the breeders, wholesalers lfs.

Alex422

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Illinois
For all I know, the fish they sold me could very well be a female. I figured it was a male because I already own a female. One has about 4 faint egg spots, but theyre coloring is about the same. Hes only been in my tank now for about 20 mins. The fish are both about 3 inches in length.

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
Could be a female...Here is a pic of my sunshine...He is about 5". Here is my female, she is probably 3 1/2" or so...Hopefully this will help. Ok can't find my pic of my female, I'll try to get one up later.

Alex422

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Illinois
Yeah mine has to be a female. I figured the egg spots made it a male. I guess I'll take it back then. I know "he or she" was in a tank with yellow regals though none had their colors. Some had a little yellow on them but the guy kept throwing me off saying something about having blue on the body. I don't think I'll go there again.

lee1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
paradise
Be careful in buying little peacocks that are colored up wholesales like to juice them up so people will gobble them up most peacocks will not start to show color until close to 2 1/2 3 inches, in my experience yellows tend to show a little sooner.And depending on the dominance factor I have had peacocks(ngara,regals)that were 4inches that I thought were females and moved them to another tank which they were the most dominanat and they turned out to be colored down males.

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
Yeah, you should take him back...I don't know if I would trust it if sunshines and regals were mixed in the same tank as they are so similar. You don't want to end up with a male regal and female sunshine.

NotoriousSway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Muncie, IN
IMO Yellow Regal and Sunshine is a general terms used for a yellow peacock, I personally wouldn't trust what it was unless they used the scientific name but its not a big deal as long as you don't breed or sell them.

There is two species of Sunshines or Yellow Regals:
Aulonocara baenschi & Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri"

Stuartgranti Maleri has a few different color variants too depending where they are caught, like...
Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" (Chidunga Rocks)
Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" (Chipoka)
Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" (Maleri Is.)
Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" (Nakantenga Is.)
Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" (Nankoma Is.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store