gar with flared gills?

vicdeedee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2009
toronto
guys/girls is this normal for an alligator gar? his gills were like this when i got him but havent seen any pics of other gars like it since then so now it raises a little concern? so any input would be cool

sry, couldnt get better pics

deeiphone 001.jpg

deeiphone 002.jpg

deeiphone 003.jpg

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Wow,that looks like a severe gill curl indeed. The supposed remedy is increased temp and pristine water.

In Asia gill curl is surgically removed from Asian Aros... not sure if you have that kind of facilities from where you at ...

Hmmm, you actually bought a fish with a gill curl - try to save him or something?

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
vicdeedee;2678162; said:
well i had been searching for a long time and he was the only one in my area
I see. ...<sigh> .... well good luck with him. From what i understand gill curl sometimes comes back to normal with good water conditions.

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
hmmm, i believe cause of gill curl is bad water and/or stress. I have never seen a gill curl on gar before.

More info on gill curl is available in the sticky in disease section of MFK

good luck

vicdeedee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2009
toronto
thanks, all i can seem to find is info in aros, i did find a site saying its caused by to small of a tank, if the fish has to back up rather then just turn but aparently at the state of my gar when i picked him up in the fisrt place the only option is surgery, and there no vet in my area who knows what to do

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store