Silver Datnoid - polota

Rmh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Murrieta, California
Does the silver datnoid thrive in fresh water? I have read mixed information on the web and wanted to hear from the people who have experience with raising this fish. I' am planning to buy one or two of them this weekend but want to be sure I can provide them a proper home. I will be keeping them with a 5 inch leichardti and a fei feng flag tail that is also 4 to 5 inch. The dats I am considering buying are 3 inch and currently in fresh water. Can they live a full healthy life in both fresh and brackish? Any pros and cons with keeping them in fresh vs brackish water.

Thanks in advance,

bitteraspects

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
ExoDon Juan
all my silvers are in full fresh. if the LFS has them in brackish water, they will need to be slowly acclimated to fresh water. if the LFS has them in fresh water, then theyre fine to add to a fresh water tank. however, i would be more concerned about putting them at such a small size with the lei. dats grow VERY slowly, and your lei will soon be much bigger then them, and probably make a snack out of your 3" dats

JL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
Warm waters
bitteraspects;2677219; said:
however, i would be more concerned about putting them at such a small size with the lei. dats grow VERY slowly, and your lei will soon be much bigger then them, and probably make a snack out of your 3" dats
I dont know, I ditched two crazy ass 1" at's cause they kept tearing my Jar's fins. ;) Plus they are SUPER fast. Watch those at's. Oh, and yeah, fresh worked for me.

JL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
Warm waters
bitteraspects;2677719; said:
they might be fine at first, but while theyre small youre looking at a max of 1-2" of growth in a year. the lei will grow closer to 1" in a month. so within a few months, the 5" jar will be big enough to eat the small dats
Nah, I know, just gotta have ur priorities.

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
In the wild AT's can be found in brackish conditions. Not sure if they swim in and out of brackish water into fresh, or if they are found in brackish 100% of the time.

People have success with keeping them in fresh. Others say they are prone to a white fungus if kept without some salt.

GL

dragonfish18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
Dat Land
i bought some silver tigers from a store that had them in fresh water so i kept them in fresh water when i brought them home weeks ago and theyer doin fine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store