My DIY bio tube filter...thing.

Nyquil Junkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2009
USA
I made one of these on a smaller scale for a smaller tank and it did a fine job as a bio filter. So I made a large one for a 40 gal tank that has 2 huge goldfish in it with some other fish, and my little biofilter wasn't keeping the nitrite/ammonia levels down. This monster should do the trick.

The pics are pretty self explanatory. Using good old SCH40 pvc pipe, and some cpvc water line, I made a tube, with a reduced tee for an overflow. the long piece of CPVC goes down inside the tube, to the bottom and is hooked to a small pump in the tank.

Also there is an airstone dropped down into the bottom of the tube. The tube is packed with dollar store scrubbies.

The pump in the tank pushes water to the bottom of the big tube, the water slowly creeps up the stack through the scrubbies (25 of them) and flows back into the tank via the overflow.

I put the airstone in the bottom of the tube because the bacteria of course, grows better with more aeration. I also put another airstone in the top 4 or 5 inches of water in the stack, to give it some extra aeration for the fish's water.

If it works as well as the small one did, in no time the scrubbies will be full of slimy bacterial goodness.

I made it this shape simply because I have that 8" gap between the tank and the wall, and no other place to put a decent canister bio filter. That, and I'm cheap. I had the extra PVC and all I had to buy was 5 bucks in scrubbies to pack it.

If someone else posted something identical or similar, please post a link to it! Maybe I can improve mine.
:ROFL:

bio1.jpg

bio2.jpg

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
im deff loving this good work do u have more pics of the pump hooked up and maybe and inside down the tube pic

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
you could prob do this with out a pump if you think about it no extra electric just syphon it

Thalan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
jacksonville
That's pretty slick. I was thinking of something like this but not long enough to actually design it.

Nyquil Junkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2009
USA
oh.. I forgot, the stack is 4" sch40 pvc, and the overflow is 2". The overlflow really could have been smaller but I didnt have a reducer.

gthumbus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2009
arkansas
nice filter i was going to make some pvc bio filters for my 250 gallon tanks and this has helped me with my design thanks for the pic great job

Nyquil Junkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2009
USA
RedTailKinG;2680526; said:
you could prob do this with out a pump if you think about it no extra electric just syphon it
I thought about that, but I have a couple of these little pumps lying around so I just used one.

I'm wasnt real sure how you would get siphon action going right so I just used the pump. I figured in time the water will need forced through the scrubbies as they crud up.... I'm not sure a siphon would keep working once its partly clogged ?

For a larger tank, you could just ratio up the design and use 6" or 8" PVC. This one is 18" tall (the water & scrubbies are 18") and 4" dia.

If you take the top layer of scrubbies out, there is a nice space to set a bag of charcoal if you have to use it, and its in a nice water flow spot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store