Colour hormones?

sainthitch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
canada
Honest conversation here...i know some companies put in colour hormones to increase the colour to sell the fish. Im sure there has to be some down side to this but im not familiar with a)the process of injecting the fish or if its just a liquid poured into the tank b) how long it lasts c) side effects...

Does anyone use these hormones all the time? i know the pro is the colours that you see but there has to be a down side....

sainthitch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
canada
ya, i cant seem to find alot of info about it on th internet but i do know hormones are used to enhance the colour of the fish...i know it fades but i dont know at what rate, what cost and what downside is.

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
I believe some downsides are infertility, color lost, males often become sterile, and they will require a continuous dietary supply of hormones inorder to maintain their coloration.

sainthitch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
canada
does it hinder there ability to live? Cause if hormones are cheap...and the only down side is fertility...im not trying to breed them...at the same token i dont want to do anything that will hurt the fish.

NotoriousSway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Muncie, IN
sainthitch;2691335; said:
does it hinder there ability to live?
Yes, if you are trying to improve a fish's color just use quality fish food like New Life Spectrum. If that not enough you can selectively breed them to enhance the strain. I would stay away from hormones, they should not be used to enhance the color of a male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store