Weaning Datnoids off feeders suggestions

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
Hi!
I have three 3-4" NTT in a 75g tank and have only had the fish for about a week. I threw in 4 small convicts to try and get them less shy and it seemed to work as they are swimming around more now.

Right now they are only eating feeders (rosies) and I wanted to get them off that as soon as possible. I'm continuing to feed them feeders to fatten them up, not that they're skinny, and then my plan of attack is to starve them for the next 2-3wks only offering them sinking carnivore pellets and FD krill. My questions come at the end of the 3 wks if they don't convert.

1) I know I should feed them a few feeders at the end of the 3wks to prevent death but how many? There are two that are more aggresive than the other and I'm afraid that if I dont throw enough feeders in, the more docile one won't get any food. At the same time, I dont want to feed them so much that they don't mind waiting a few days for a feast.

2) If, after the 3wks, this does not work should I throw some of my blood parrots into the tank to kind of help entice them to eat prepared foods? The blood parrots will eat any and everything and I feel they might help.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Andrew

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
simple don't feed them anymore feeders

you need to be strong or you will never get them eating dead foods

when ever i get a new tiger it will only get ghost/river shrimp once per month with other foods offered daily

ALL my tigers ST NTT NGT now all eat pellets

whos the boss you or the fish EAT OR DIE its as simple as that

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
T1KARMANN;2693391; said:
simple don't feed them anymore feeders
whos the boss you or the fish EAT OR DIE its as simple as that
But umm...I don't want them to die...:confused: The last thread I read, a guy didn't feed his fish for 4-6wks and they died. Don't know if I want to go that route.

So back to my questions:
1)Once 3wks comes by, how many feeders is enough to keep them alive?
2)Is it easier to wean with or without competition?

robkob

Candiru
MFK Member
May 28, 2005
lost
Both my dats took massivore the first time I offered it. I never starved them either. Guess I just got lucky twice. Give it a shot.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
my datnoid eats dried krill,blood/blackworm,meal worm,market prawn,i just dont buy feeder and just feed my tank those food and they got hungry after a month and they ate lol

BRYANT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2008
HU$$$TLIN
I just grabbed some baby silvers and they're in a growout. I threw in mysis shrimp cubes and they go everywhere and my dats chase after it thinking they're little guppies. You can try that. Also archers help dats imitate their behavior. Just don't give in to your dats and see what happens.

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
You don't have to feed them anything after three weeks. If they are bigger than three inches they can go longer than that. Beleive me, I had NGT go for many months before eating. Try MP and FD krill first, before you even try pellets. GL
;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store