Will it work?

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
Could a 3-4" Gator survive in a tank with a 9" Florida, 7" Spotted, and 6"Florida? I never really thought if it would work? They would all be in a 31x12x18 grow out tank till their permnant(Except the Gator) home is set-up and they are ready to be moved. Would the little guy flourish or would he be bullied? I don't think it would be a problem but I want second opinions.

My Floridas and Spotted are fine and have never shown aggresion to anything else in the tank except for a RTSN and a Rubberlip Pleco. Which is surprising seeing as I have a couple rather small tank mates.

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Hit and miss, mate

the odds are against you, i think. my 3 gator gars are living peacefully with two RTCs

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
are the other tankmates just gars, or are there other fishes in there? if so, what are the other fishes? also, how are you telling the difference between your Floridas and "spotted" gars? or did you catch the spotted gar?

if the only other tankmates are those gars, the combo should work, however the tank is already pretty small for those fish as it's only 1' wide and not very long...most of those fish will outgrow the tank in a matter of a couple months, just something to keep in mind as you work on the upgrade--
--solomon

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
Their home will be ready in a month, 2 maximum.

As far as tank mates I'm looking at:

-Florida Gar
-Spotted Gar
-Alligator Gar
-Shortnose Gar
-Sterlet Sturgeon
-Blue Channel Catfish

There is a possibility of "Skinny" being sold very soon cause I have someone intrested in him that's why I didn't list him.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
ViperCLKGTR;2699611; said:
Their home will be ready in a month, 2 maximum.

As far as tank mates I'm looking at:

-Florida Gar
-Spotted Gar
-Alligator Gar
-Shortnose Gar
-Sterlet Sturgeon
-Blue Channel Catfish

There is a possibility of "Skinny" being sold very soon cause I have someone intrested in him that's why I didn't list him.
how big is the new tank going to be? blue cats can get quite large and seem to be quite boisterous...shortnose in too big of a tank will likely kill itself given their nature and tankmates. sterlet would make an interesting addition...depending on the size of the gator, the Florida/spotted/gator combo should work for at least some time...sterlet will depend on growth and hardiness--
--solomon

new2natives

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2007
ohio
i think your question pertains to the gars with gars
anyhow, if you are asking about everything else, i have kept both sturgeon and channels with gar with no issues

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
I had a Shortnose eat a Lake sturgeon about half it's size and a Florida die by getting a Channel cat jammed in it's mouth... Likewise I've had a stonecat take down a Longnosed about it's size.

I only keep gars with food they will eat or other very similar sized gars... That is the safest bet.

Gar really are not community fish....

new2natives

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2007
ohio
new2natives;2700159; said:
i have kept both sturgeon and channels with gar with no issues

Polypterus;2700229; said:
I had a Shortnose eat a Lake sturgeon about half it's size and a Florida die by getting a Channel cat jammed in it's mouth... Likewise I've had a stonecat take down a Longnosed about it's size.
Gar really are not community fish....

funny how every fish / setup is different ...
that, and the fact that you can never really trust a fish, no matter how its acted previously

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
I hoping to add a shortnose this spring.
but any ways........
I would say no for the cat and for the sterlet. I remember seeing a picture in one of these forums of a gar trying to eat a sterlet about its size

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store