Building a 1500 Gallon plywood & glass tank

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
I started on my 1500 gallon tank build project this past weekend and will post more pictures later when more progress takes place.

The overall outside dimensions with stand will be 123”x91”x60” with the inside dimensions around 116”x81”x36” for a total of 1464 Gallons.

I am using the same design as Gator did on his 600 gallon tank with some modifications for the larger tank.

Everything will be 10" on center and there will be a center support structure breaking up the span on the 2x8s.

Plywood will either be 2 layers of 1/2" with the seams being offset for added strength or a single 3/4" layer. (Still looking into that)

All seams, screw heads, and joints will be covered with Bondo and fiberglass strips will be added to the corners and seams for added strength.

For now I am going with Pond Armor/Shield unless I hear differently from the company after I talk to them later in the week.

Glass window will be about 96"x36"x.75" (starfire or low iron is cost isn't too bad) Still working this out as well.

Here is the basic design from Gator's thread that I am working from.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
AWE come on!!! We'll accept pix of the bare floor for starts :ROFL:

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store