sunfish and hybrid Identification

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
Bluegill
Lepomis macrochirus
Bluegills go by many names:bream, blue bream, sun perch, blue sunfish, copperhead, copperbelly, roach
Temp:70 to 75
Bluegill are found thourghout North America

Identification: Black dot at base of the posterior dorsal fin. Userly a solid black/dark blue ear flap on the gill plate. Narrow vertical bars on the side. Long pointed pectoral fins.11-12 anal, 13-14 pectoral, 10-12 dorsal, and 5 pelvic rays, 3 anal and 10 dorsal spines, 38-48 scales on lateral line. Young bluegills generaly have a iridescent purple shine.

Male bluegill
bluegill.jpg

Female bluegill
bluegill 2.jpg

Juvi./baby Bluegill
bluegill 3.jpg

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
And your point? Theres already sticky post about ID the sunfish, no need to make new threads about ID the sunfish.

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
that wasnt a very good user friendly site, and half the time i click on it i dosnt even work

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
The link works for me, and it's a perfectly good key. Nothing wrong with what you're doing, though, but it'd be nice to include more diagnostic characters as well as general description.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
I see nothing wrong with what he is doing either as long as the information remains accurate and he applies it to his own identifications :).

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
MultispeciesTamer;2697934; said:
that wasnt a very good user friendly site, and half the time i click on it i dosnt even work
The site works fine.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
However, i think im gonna cry that my little boy is growing up and learn how to identification the sunfish. This is good way for him to learn this. Dont forget about other non-lepomis species too.

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
Pumpkinseed sunfish
Lepomis gibbosus
Other names:yellow sunfish, pumpkinseed sunfish, common sunfish, round sunfish, bream, sun bass, pseed
Temp:75 to 89
Pumpkinseeds are found in north central and eastern North America but due to stockng have expanded west word, and some parts of Europe.

Identification: Pseeds have a small mouth and a chubby looking face. Pseeds have a red dot on there ear flap. cheeks and gill cover are marked with small wavy blue bars. 7-8 dark vertical stripes down the side.Caudal fin is slightly forked. Lateral line scales 35-43. Dorsal fin 10-11, anal fin 9-10, pectoral fin 12-14 rays. 3 anal spines and 9-10 dorsal spines.

Adult Pumpkinseed
Lepomis-gibbosus.jpg

Juvi/baby Pumpkinseed
pumpkinseed.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store