a newbie question, apologize if sounded dumb

adrideh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2009
Jakarta
Hi seniors,

I am a newbie just recently joined this forum and have several questions regaring alligator gars.

I am planning to keep 4 alligator gars (about 10" size) in a 94 gallons bare bottom aquarium. I am planning to keep them there for max. 6 months before I build a bigger tank in my house.

The questions are :
1. As I know that 94 gallons (59" x 20" x 20") is too small to keep these gars for years, would it be okay for about 6 months ?
2. My water is hard, 10dH + 10KH is it okay for gars ?
3. The temperature would be around 27 - 30 Celcius , is it okay ?
4. What is the ideal way to transport the gars ? Do I need to starve them for 1 day prior ?

Please excuse my bad English, tried my best anyway.... hehehe

Thanks in advance,
Adri - Jakarta, Indonesia

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Lower 20's are better and especially if you plan to keep those fish in a smaller tank for a period of time keep the Temp down if you can.

Ideally Temperate gars are best around 25 for a high and 15 for a low. They can handle the higher temps but it will make them require alot more feed, if smaller they will grow faster and they will need more care as to water conditions at higher temps. Cooler temps slow them and moderate them.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
also wanted to add something regarding your transport question...really depends on how long you are moving them for...it would be good to fast them for about a day before transport if possible. moving them in a large plastic tub or in double-bagged plastic bags can work for large and small individuals, respectively. how long are they going to be in transport?--
--solomon

adrideh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2009
Jakarta
Thanks Polypterus, for your help...

So if I'm not mistaken, this is what I gather :
If I keep these beauties in a higher temperature tank (around 28) I will need to feed them more, thus I will need larger effort to maintain the tank conditions (siphon the wastes, water changes, etc)

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
adrideh;2700206; said:
Thanks Polypterus, for your help...

So if I'm not mistaken, this is what I gather :
If I keep these beauties in a higher temperature tank (around 28) I will need to feed them more, thus I will need larger effort to maintain the tank conditions (siphon the wastes, water changes, etc)
Correct.

Venom SS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Texas
Alligator Gars for the most part are very tolerant of water conditions and temperature. Here in Texas they are very common, and I have seen thousands of them in our local lakes. I have seen them in various sizes in water that is six inches deep and heavily silted, when it is 105 degrees f. They are air gulpers so they dont really need alot of circulation. Most important would be to keep the ammonia and nitrates / nitrites in check with good biological filtration. Temperature above 87 degrees F. will prevent / reduce most parasites and diseases that are common in our hobby. The fish will thrive in water that temperature with no problems at all. Most Gar enthusiasts will tell you that you will eventually need a tank that is atleast 400 gallons to keep them forever. In reality you would need thousands of gallons to keep them for a lifetime. I have seen them in the wild at 300lbs and 6ft long.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Temperature above 87 degrees F. will prevent / reduce most parasites and diseases that are common in our hobby. The fish will thrive in water that temperature with no problems at all.
Actually that would be survive not thrive... They do not thrive at constant high temps at all.

Venom SS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Texas
Polypterus;2701217; said:
Actually that would be survive not thrive... They do not thrive at constant high temps at all.
There are many bodies of water in Texas that get well over 85 degrees for months at a time, and only dip below 70 degrees for 2-3 months out of the year. Gar are probably one of the most common fish here. Being that ive observed them for over 20 years, I find it hard to swallow that Gar wont thrive at high temps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store