Is this a good deal?

fishman646

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
In the fishroom
I am debating rather or not to do this I want to buy 3 florida longnose gars and for the 3 fish around 10 inchs and shippin my total is 110dollars is this a good deal?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
are they Florida gars or are they longnose gars? there is no such species as a "Florida longnose gar" although there are longnose gars from Florida. all that being said, it's a decent deal including shipping--
--solomon

PS-- i would highly recommend 3 Florida gars as opposed to 3 longnose gars...chances are one of the longnoses may break its back in a group like that in a typical home aquarium--

fishman646

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
In the fishroom
Thanks heres the info haha66850.jpg

Florida Long Nose Gar

Scientific Name: Lepisosteus osseus
Recommended Aquarium: 300+ Gallons
Approx. Adult Size: 40 to 60 inches
Temperament: Aggressive
Ease of Care: Moderate
Diet: Carnivore
Native Waters: North America

This torpedo-shaped fish likes to lurk near the surface of the aquarium and will quickly dart out to catch live foods. Most can be trained to take meaty prepared foods in addition to the feeder fish. The body is white to gunmetal gray with black blotches running down the midline of the body into the fins. The fins are rather stubby looking compared to the body. The mouth on this species is extended more so than other Gars. An aggressive fish, the Long Nose Gar should only be housed fish other fish that are too large to eat and that will not try to nip at the Gar’s fins. Floating vegetation or plants extending from the bottom to the top of the tank will provide cover for the Florida Gar. A good, sturdy lid will be required to keep this fish from jumping out of the tank.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
fishman646;2703179; said:
Thanks heres the info hahaView attachment 313053

Florida Long Nose Gar
no such thing, it's either a Florida gar or a longnose gar...given the scientific name below, they are describing longnose gar.

Scientific Name: Lepisosteus osseus
Recommended Aquarium: 300+ Gallons
Approx. Adult Size: 40 to 60 inches
Temperament: Aggressive
Ease of Care: Moderate
Diet: Carnivore
Native Waters: North America

This torpedo-shaped fish likes to lurk near the surface of the aquarium and will quickly dart out to catch live foods. Most can be trained to take meaty prepared foods in addition to the feeder fish. The body is white to gunmetal gray with black blotches running down the midline of the body into the fins. The fins are rather stubby looking compared to the body. The mouth on this species is extended more so than other Gars. An aggressive fish, the Long Nose Gar should only be housed fish other fish that are too large to eat and that will not try to nip at the Gar’s fins. Floating vegetation or plants extending from the bottom to the top of the tank will provide cover for the Florida Gar. A good, sturdy lid will be required to keep this fish from jumping out of the tank.
this is a typically flawed profile on gars and contributes to the incorrect information out there on the web on gars. even within their own little care capsule they alternate between two different species common names. longnose gars are found from canada down to texas, Florida gars are mainly found in peninsular Florida and certain parts of neighboring states.

if i were you i would get a pic of the fish you're getting just to confirm and prepare. Florida gars are easier to care for than longnoses--
--solomon

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
fishman646;2711918; said:
Yeah what did you pay for yours? I will be recieving them in like 2 hours!
oh, sweet, dude! $70 :WHOA:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store