Basic DYI Above Tank Filter

noiesmo

Candiru
MFK Member
Hello All

Just thought I'd share my new very basic above tank filter. I made this in about half an hour with a draw from a plastic storage unit and some pvc pipe. It's run by a cheap 2000l/hr pump.

Side View

Top View

Outlet

[yt]ZbrZQvfigMQ[/yt]
A short video taken with my new mobile phone

TheFishJunky

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2008
Jersey
pretty kool-just would really go bad if the filter media gets clogged or slides over the return hole.That would lead to a huge mess.very inventive though
I wonder if you could get the same effect from just starting a syphon and letting it just continually run?That may be an idea if the power ever failed

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
basically a reverse sump. Why don't you put the output from the powerhead in the water? it sounds a ton noisier than it needs to be.

noiesmo

Candiru
MFK Member
itsbadlands;2704167; said:
pretty kool-just would really go bad if the filter media gets clogged or slides over the return hole.That would lead to a huge mess.very inventive though
I wonder if you could get the same effect from just starting a syphon and letting it just continually run?That may be an idea if the power ever failed
As I said this was thrown together in 30 minutes. I did think of the media clogging the return hole and I am putting a piece of pvc pipe in it to stop that from happening, but I am going to find a plastic container with different dimensions, this week end. and make a better looking one. :naughty:

If you start a siphon, then you have to be able to stop if power goes off, with this basic system, if the power goes off the water just stops, but if it is siphoning then it will drain the tank until the siphon stops. If you know what I mean.

iloveoscars702;2704218; said:

mrhayeshimself;2704228; said:
sweet, any other ideas?
Cheers

nah not really :ROFL:

blue_francis14;2704307; said:
It's an overhead filter. That kind of filter is more popular here in the Philippines than HOB filters.

Here's an image of some DIY Overhead filter

You can read more about it here: http://www.mypalhs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87331

It's not in english though. I'll translate it for you if you want.

Yeah, I know, I never said I invented it or anything like that I just posted basic dyi filter for fun and a bit of a laugh.

I have a 2ft tank that has one molded into the hood that's made in china. and I think it's great.

The one in the pics are cool, mine is the most basic of basic ones :ROFL:

fish_master2000;2704374; said:
wow, that makes a sponge filter look obsolete.
I don't know sponge filters are still a great option. I am lucky to have a 6m x 6m room around my tank and the viewing is from the lounge room, so you don't see or hear any filters etc that I have on my 2000 litre

FSM;2704417; said:
basically a reverse sump. Why don't you put the output from the powerhead in the water? it sounds a ton noisier than it needs to be.
yep, pretty much no hassles with overflow when the power goes off. Not that it does that much these days but I have flooded my lounge room floor more than once or twice. :ROFL:

I am making a couple of nicer ones as I want one each end of my tank, purely for mechanical filtration I will have the pump outlet setup a bit differently and it won't be as noisy.

TheFishJunky

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2008
Jersey
As I said this was thrown together in 30 minutes. I did think of the media clogging the return hole and I am putting a piece of pvc pipe in it to stop that from happening, but I am going to find a plastic container with different dimensions, this week end. and make a better looking one. :naughty:

If you start a siphon, then you have to be able to stop if power goes off, with this basic system, if the power goes off the water just stops, but if it is siphoning then it will drain the tank until the siphon stops. If you know what I mean.(quote)
I would have to disagree here,if you have a siphon going from the tank thru this filter-right back into the tank-theres no way it could ever drain the tank.its going right back in.the only way that could be a problem is if the filter media its being pushed through clogs-then,you are right,that would be a huge mess for sure.unless you turned it into a hob kinda and had an overflow just in case it did clog.now we know a syphon doesnt have much pressure at all,but for those who may lose power do to a power outage/a storm etc-it would at least keep the water flowing for a last minute resort.Just something to think about that i will store in the back of my brain should an emergency ever arise where I need to keep the water circulating with no source of electric etc.

xiahaolong168

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
NEW YORK CITY
niiiiiiice. my lfs custome makes these if anyone wants to order one. I'm assuming they cost quite a penny though. They look really neat. I'm planning on trying to make one myself in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store