Some questions about my alligator gar

Bassfisherj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
bethlehem
I have 5 and half or so inch alligator gar.

Im sure its an alligator gar. Hes laying on the bottom of the tank not alot of movement from him - im a bit worried tank temp is at 80 degrees i have had the tempature at 70 and high 80s seeing if it changes hte way he acts. Hes in with a needlenose gar/needle fish if that matters, they dont bother each other. Hes in 10 gallon till he grows a little i have a 90 gallon for him once hes bigger. check out this youtube URL to see tank.
--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95BRF_WOQLM ---

If anyone can tell me the following

Water tempeture
Ph level
amonia thing

thanks guys/girls.

:headbang2

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
yeah, as stated above, that fish is a Florida/spotted gar, not an alligator gar. gars will often sit on the bottom for long periods of time, so as long as he's eating i wouldn't be too worried about it at this point. in terms of temp, 70F is good, 80F is good...whatever you do, just try to be consistent as this will help stabilize the fish for captivity--
--solomon

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Not a Gator it's a Florida / spotted (as they all pretty much are)

You have nothing for cover. Add more

Temp is fine at 70 to 75.

Lights are too damn bright. Dim them

If I was that fish I'd not move either and just sit in the bottom. Not a good small gar set up at all.

And what Solomon said go for stability with a small gar...

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
I'm glad it's not a gator. What are your plans after it outgrows the 90?

bethlehem as in PA?

Bassfisherj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
bethlehem
ughh. oh well all gars are awsome fish. i will keep the temp stable as you said.
i dont know if i can dim the lights but more cover would do that most likly. i didnt feed him in 3 da6ys because he ate 9 feeders and put on alot of girth but im feeding him today 2 guppies ill post and tell you if he eats.And yes thats bethlehem pennsylvania :)

Thanks alot guys ! :grinno::WHOA:

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Bassfisherj;2712924; said:
ughh. oh well all gars are awsome fish. i will keep the temp stable as you said.
i dont know if i can dim the lights but more cover would do that most likly. i didnt feed him in 3 da6ys because he ate 9 feeders and put on alot of girth but im feeding him today 2 guppies ill post and tell you if he eats.And yes thats bethlehem pennsylvania :)

Thanks alot guys ! :grinno::WHOA:
gars at that size don't need to be fasted and should not be in all but a few exceptional cases. gars need to grow quite a bit in their first year, so small individuals like this one should have an almost constant (or at least every day) source of food. cover should help with the lighting issues; good luck--
--solomon

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
that's where I took my hunter safety course :D

you can float a fancy plant giant to help w/ the lighting, too.

and, yeah, feed it more often :D

Bassfisherj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
bethlehem
yeah wil do i just put aluminum under the light its a bit dimmer and ill get a floating plant. my mom never wants to go to pt store >.< im going in 1 hour thanks alot guys :)

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
good luck
and good to see some more PA mfkers as well as some more PA gar keepers
never seems to be enought of us
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com