largest and fastest growing gar?

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
gator. in captivity they can reach 2' in a year and average at around 5'. in the wild they get larger, they average out at around 6-8' but rarely hit 10'.

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
Delhezi222;2712255; said:
Alligator gar grow the largest and the fastest.
x2

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
if you have to worry about how fast it grows then you probably shouldnt get it. I wouldnt imagine that they slow down much until way after 2' maybe 3' tho i am no gator gar expert. they just get big and do it fast.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
jcm412;2729927; said:
about what size do they begin to slow down in growth
are you asking out of curiosity, or because you are considering keeping the fish? if it is the former then it depends on a lot of circumstances...housing, feeding, genetics, other environmental factors. either way, they get big fast...easily 2' in their first year in many cases, sometimes larger sometimes smaller. they are the most aggressive of the family. it's not uncommon to see 3' long gator gars housed in private aquaria, and 6-7' is quite frequent in zoos.
if you are asking because of the latter, then my info is the same with the addition that you shouldn't be considering keeping the fish if you are still asking the questions presented in your first post. i would highly suggest researching further (finding out about the largest gar species can be much more quickly done -and probably with better info- by going to books or non-forum sources), and going with keeping the much more reasonable (for home aquaria) Florida gar - most commonly available in pet stores.--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store