Gar Color

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
i got question when i add tahitian black moon sand would my florida be black or sumthing? any1 got experience with gar in black sand?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
dark color substrate does tend to bring out a bolder pattern in many cases...it won't make the whole fish look black, but it may create an effect where the spots and pattern stand out more.--
--solomon

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
E_americanus;2713937; said:
dark color substrate does tend to bring out a bolder pattern in many cases...it won't make the whole fish look black, but it may create an effect where the spots and pattern stand out more.--
--solomon
I agree.

Here to give you an example of my florida gar

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
Makes their spots more bold.

I have the Tahiti Black Moon Sand from PetSmart same stuff your probably gonna buy.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
King-eL;2715665; said:
Thanks! Just to let you know. As they grow the spots become smaller.
that may happen frequently, but that's definitely not the rule...many adult gars maintain very large spots (this has been observed in the wild of several species as well as captive individuals).--
--solomon

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
E_americanus;2716861; said:
that may happen frequently, but that's definitely not the rule...many adult gars maintain very large spots (this has been observed in the wild of several species as well as captive individuals).--
--solomon
Some individuals do and some don't I got 3 flo gars and 2 of them maintain the spots and the other 1 spots keeps on getting smaller. They are now all at 19-21".

Here are some old pics of my 2 different flo gars

The first gar I posted on the 4th post now look like this. It's the same gar on the 4th post. Now the spots are even smaller. I'll take some pics very soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store