If You Build It They Will Come; Monster Fish Need a Home Too

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
Over the years people have called me to ask if I would take a monster fish off their hands. “When we got the baby Pacu” they started in, “He was so cute but, well, he is just too big for the aquarium now. You do adopt fish don’t you?” My situation is similar to that of someone who can’t resist taking in another stray cat. The only difference is I do not wake up in the morning to find 50 cats sleeping on my bed.

A) When I started my 12 foot long outdoor 2400 gallon aquarium in 2003. I already had a few sizeable donated fish to put in the tank: Pacu, Arowana, Tiger Shovelnose and Redtail Catfish.

B) Word gets around. People want to see the fish in the 2400 gallon aquarium and then they tell their friends. Soon the calls start coming, “Help! Help! This monster fish is eating everything in my tank.” Within 3 years I had an aquarium full of monster fish and must now contemplate building another larger outdoor orphaned fish aquarium.

C) More of my donated fish collection, monsters all.

D) Oh please… I have this 18 inch Pacu which I can’t keep in my 20 gallon any longer; will you come and get it?” The fish was in unheated water with a broken exposed heater element plugged into the wall and nobody could remember when the last time the fish had been fed. The water parameters were: PH: 4.0, Ammonia above 6 PPM, (off the scale). To test for Nitrates I used one drop of aquarium water in a 5 ML vial and added the normal quantity of regent drops from the squeeze bottles. The Nitrates tested over 1000 PPM. That fish is pictured below soon after its arrival; note the dorsal fin is badly damaged. He is almost recovered now one year later. My largest Pacu is 39” and weighs about 40 pounds. What is the largest Pacu you have actually seen yourself?

E) Tiger Shovelnose Catfish @ 36”; one went to the new Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta in the fall of 2005. http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/ See pictures of how I shipped the Tiger Shovelnose Catfish and some others to the Georgia Aquarium via Delta Air Cargo: http://anythingfish.com/images/Ted/PhotoGallery/GeorgiaAquariumShipment.htm

F) Feeding time at the 2400 gallon ranch, how they line up for the Bar-S Hot Dogs! I use the chicken pork turkey variety. They will eat the beef type but they are more expensive and leave a residue on the glass at the surface of the water. You might have been told Pacu are vegetarians; but did you know Pacu and Piranha are both Characins? My family of black Pacu will eat a head of iceberg lettuce in 1-2 minutes; but they also love hotdogs and mice and rats and birds.

G) My Niger Catfish took a hot dog the first time offered on the day he arrived last month. Can you imagine any monster fish lover putting their loveable, friendly Niger Catfish up for adoption? Can you guess which MonsterFishKeepers member did?

The following 2 photos were taken before the Niger was released into the 2400G tank. It measured 25" tip to tip.http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/oxydoras_niger.htm

H) This Pacu grabbed half a hot dog from another fish which could not get it down fast enough.

I) It is better viewing in the 2400 gallon aquarium at night; the daytime sunlight reflects on the glass and drastically reduces visibility into the tank.

J) From the fish’s side of the aquarium window everything looks like food.

K) The kids love watching the jumbo tropical fish at night or are they just putting off having to go to bed?

L) Something you don’t count on when you adopt fish; surgery and veterinary care. This picture was taken at the Pilchuck Veterinary Hospital in Snohomish Washington 6 days ago on March 20, 2006. My hybrid Redtail–Tiger Shovelnose Catfish went under the knife to remove a golf ball sized tumor attached to its pectoral fin. Pictures of the complete operation are on the Monster Fish Keepers Site: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20665

Reactions: mattybecks

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
your the man :D

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
You're over in the Seattle area? I MUST come visit. I live in Spokane.

How do you keep the tank warm in the winter? Im thinking of pursuing another type of 'adoption' program over here in Spokane..

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
BTW, That is FREAKING AWESOME!!!

More Details on sealing of the tanks, lighting, and filtration!

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
:jaw: :jaw: :drool: :drool: :drool:
THAT is SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
I just love your dedication to your fish and your tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store