Re-Sealing tank? Pics of current seal

$INI$T3R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
Stuttgart Germany
Ok guys,

I have been reading a bit on how to re-seal an aquarium. But here is my question...? How much do i use on a 220 gal tank? Like how wide and thick im just not sure right now. The guy i bought it from re-sealed it like 3 years ago, and it looks like @$$... So i need some help here are a few pics of the job... I wouldnt be so bad, Except you can see like 1.5" of silicone from the bottom and all four corners. What do you all think i should do?!?!?!?!

fish 004.JPG

fish 005.JPG

fish 006.JPG

fish 007.JPG

fish 008.JPG

fish 009.JPG

Docsoldlady

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
NH
LMAO sorry but that does look like **** what were they thinking??

Well I am in the process of re-sealing a 75 gallon. We got a 4 pack of the GE I 100% silicone (without bioseal and mold/mildew guard) and I think that will be more than plenty. I guess you can buy X amount and take back whatever unopened ones you don't use as long as it is within 90 days (or w/e store policy is)
Good luck with the project that looks like FUN...

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
You putting sand or gravel in?If you are I doubt youll notice the silicone once the tank is going.If its not leaking I wouldnt mess with it.

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
That looks... Like i did it! Lol heres someEthing i want to ask what really holds the glass togeather? The silcone on the side or is there some in between?

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
haha that looks like a drunk infant blindfolded monkey with two fingers did that :ROFL:

best advice: USE MASKING TAPE!!! run tape on BOTH side of where the silicon will be, put the silicone on, then smooth with a wet finger. remove the tape and voila! a perfect seem with clean edges, just like on a new tank.

cut the crap off and do it over! and i used black aquarium silicone, looks so much better

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
and for what its worth, i used about two tubes on my 210g 7x2x2

$INI$T3R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
Stuttgart Germany
I already Have clear silicone x 5... I wanted to do 3M color quartz black sand for the bottom. So maybe i can trade these 5 tubes for a few black ones. If you think it woild look better. Also wanted to know if there was a way to fix a few scrub marks on glass? I know you buff the other types of tanks but I wasnt for sure if you could do something to glass.. Let me know:nilly:

puntoturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2007
Norfolk UK
Bizzaro;2718255; said:
That looks... Like i did it! Lol heres someEthing i want to ask what really holds the glass togeather? The silcone on the side or is there some in between?
There is silicone in between aswell!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store