Idea's for 8x3x2 tank.

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
As some people know already who I have been bugging over IM (Miles, Del, Neo, Trust, :D) I am looking to move house shortly and I will beable to have a new 360G tank. I have my ideas for filtration and heating sorted but I am still unsure on substrate, lighting, acrylic or glass and the MAIN thing what to stock. I am quite tempted on going for the classic MFK style with aro, rays, dats, pbass and cats but I do quite fancy trying something different. So I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas on stocking (I would quite like quite a few medium growing fish rather than lots of small fish or a few very large). Also any thoughts on acrylic or glass would be good and the lighting and substrate, the acrylic will cost 3x more so that is what is putting me off. I would prefer it if the stocking idea's include rays as they have been one of the fish I have always wanted to keep. So any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appricated :D

Thanks,

Kieran

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
It really depends on your budget. Acrylic has its advantages and disadvantages as well. Personally, I prefer glass just because I've always used it without a problem. Acrylic scratches very easy, so keep that in mind if you decide to go with monster fish that have a nasty habit of messing decor up and causing trouble.

As for stocking, I'm a fan of the classic setup. You're in the UK, so get yourself a nice Asian Arowana as a focal fish. Then a trio of widebar dats, fei feng, RTGG, and a few nice rays. Keep it simple. the 3' width is really going to make rays possible, so I would definetly go that route!

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
paOol said:
rays, asian aros, dats, pbass, bumble bee grouper,
what else could u ask for?
i agree

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
Thanks for the replys. With my budget I will beable to get most fish mentioned but not the bumblebee grouper as I I don't think they have ever been on sale in the UK so the import fees for 1 and the price of it would be too much. My idea with more speific fish was 1x RTG Asian 3x Chainlink motoro's (1 male 2 females), 4-5xDatnoides Pulcher, 3xCichla Temensis and 3x Cichla Monoculus. I do like Fei feng but I personally would not risk it with rays. If I go for the set-up mentioned above I would like to have something different such as a Megalodoras urunoscopus. I was put off a tig by the stories I hear of them mysteriously dieing overnight with no signs and the other fish are unharmed.

Also I forgot to mention but it will have a 24/7 drip system with 4 UK GPH which is 2x turnover per week or the equivelent of a 90% water change so I should beable to get it pretty stocked :). For filtration I am going to use 2 Pro 3's with t1karrmans idea of a 'Blagdon Cyclone 5000' pond bucket filter on one of the input for each pro 3 so it should be pretty well filtered.

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
Also Scottfree I like your idea but I did want to get rays and I am not sure if I would want them to mix with the more agressive cichlids.

red oscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
JOUSHA TX
i would go with glass with large fish just make sure you don't put any thing in tank that can be used to break the glass. your idea of what to stock sounds cool but if it was me i would have to go with scottfrees idea oh well differnt strokes for differnt foks

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
The glass would be £550 ($960) and acrylic is £1500 ( $2615) which is alot of differance and I could get alot of price from the money I would save from going glass. The only problem is if it does brake it will do lots of damage to the house and all of the fish would most likely die.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store