increase appetite

mcblack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2005
singapore
just wondering how could i boost the appetite of my bichirs, currently my delhzi and weeksii are poor eaters, they only eat so little and at time don't eat at all, i guess they might be the shy type, my other bichirs eat like pigs, the delhzi and weeksii are in a seperate tank so there is no competitors but themselves but they still eat poorly

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I dont know about bichirs, but in all of my fish garlic guard seems to help spark an appetite!

Alien

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
Vienna, Austria
Increase the water temperature. Most bichirs like very warm water like 28°C. That will for sure increase their appetite. Also You can try to put in some live feederfish, that will make them hunt.

Do You have other fish with Your bichirs in the tank? Optical food finders are always faster on the food then smell food finders, like bichirs. Consider putting them in a different tank, or as bichirs are mostly night feeder, feed them after the lights are off.

bg
Thomas

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
:iagree: all excellent suggestions. also, how long have they been in that tank? if they are fairly new to the tank they may not be completely comfortable yet. it took my delhezi several weeks to finally start eating like a pig like the other bichirs. :)

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Depending on how long they have been in the tank it could be a settling in period.
P.weeksii are notorious for being shy and slow feeders.What are you feeding them?

mcblack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2005
singapore
i feed them muscles, small fishes bought from wet market, tried shrimps, even live shrimps they didn't eat them left them alone, no other fish but the delhzi and weeksii both are slow eaters so no competition whatsoever, just they don't eat much, and most of time food just stay there for hours unless i siphon it, i'll try feeders, hope that might help, anymore suggestions?

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I agree with increase in temp. Make sure your fish are not gasping and make sure aeriation is good.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
How big are the bichirs in question ? try bloodworms or earthworms-Anne

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store