Gar on pellets?

malfunkshun

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Gränna
My pumpkinseeds love the pellets I feed them (Hikari Excel and Hikari Chichlid Bio-Gold+), but now my spotted gar has started to steal their food. It used to eats feeders by the ton, but not any more.
Is there enough nutrients in these pellets for a gar or should I start feeding it something else, like Hikari Food Sticks or similar?

Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad that it started to eat pellets. It's so much cheaper than feeders ^^

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
malfunkshun;2730254; said:
My pumpkinseeds love the pellets I feed them (Hikari Excel and Hikari Chichlid Bio-Gold+), but now my spotted gar has started to steal their food. It used to eats feeders by the ton, but not any more.
Is there enough nutrients in these pellets for a gar or should I start feeding it something else, like Hikari Food Sticks or similar?

Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad that it started to eat pellets. It's so much cheaper than feeders ^^
stick with your present pellets and you should be in good shape...captive diets never fully capture the wild diet, but they do have a variety of nutrional components that far exceed feeders (and likely even shrimp/fish only diets) --
--solomon

crowxviii

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Philippines
how did you train your gar to eat pellets? mine wont even bother looking at a floating pellet. :(

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
you're lucky its eating pellets! its usually pretty tough to get them to. definetly keep it on the pellets, more nutrition and cheaper

malfunkshun

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Gränna
It just started to eat them by itself. I was quite surprised to say the least. Before that feeders were the only thing it ate.
Thanks for all the answers! :)

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
My two gars eat started eating pellets out of the blue (never seen the third one take floating pellets). I know a guy with aligator gar that no longer eats live food for some reason. According to the owner it just switched to catfish pellets and stopped eating live things (fish, frogs etc)

Stick with the pellets if only for the cost reasons =P

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
My gar has been eating pelletts now for 5 years or so. He gets feeders once a month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store