Difference between Procambarus Alleni and Clarkii

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
Hi i've recently set up a small tank with some white crayfish. I think they're eithe P. Alleni or Clarkii. I'm new to crays, is there anyway to tell the difference?

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Yep, here's how you tell the difference:

1.) Look at the back of your crayfish...

Where the shell comes together, it's almost touching on P. clarkii (sometimes it is touching) and on a P. alleni there's a wide gap between it.

2.) Using those same pictures above, look at the claws. P. clarkii have very thorny and bumpy claws. And while P. alleni will get a little bumpy as an adult, it's much more pronounced on P. clarkii.

3.) Using those same pictures above, look at the body in general. P. clarkii has little raised dots all over it , whereas P. alleni doesn't (generally the spotting in P. alleni, usually seen in the colored versions, is just patterning. You can actually feel the bumps on a P. clarkii)

(Pictures borrowed from bluecrayfish.com - Big Vine)

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
wow, thanks for the awesome info. Almost 100% sure they i have clarkii's. Off to the interwebz i go, for my info

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Have fun with them, they're cool crayfish! I love P. clarkii (I have red, orange and white ones), since they're less aggressive than P. alleni but still very similar in appearance. ^_^

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store