My Florida Gar 11+ years.

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
This is my Florida Gar (it was sold to me as a Florida Spotted gar.) I have had it for 11 years now. I did not know much when I first got him and he lived in a 55. He has been in my 125 for a while now. If I could do it over I would have had him in a much bigger tank. He is around 16-17 inches. The tank is flitered by a fluval fx5, which I just put on and a magnum 350. Sorry for the lack of decor and algae on the tank. I am looking for tankmates, he gets along with anything as long as he cannot eat it..lol.
Sorry for the bad pics, just snapped em' real quick while he was taking a nap.

Imported Photos 00010.jpg

Imported Photos 00012.jpg

Imported Photos 00013.jpg

Imported Photos 00014.jpg

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
Looks good.

I think that you should add more drift wood though.... just a thought....

cambo01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
chesterfield uk
thats a nice gar
you could put a large dat in there with him

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Tropicalfishking;2738594; said:
Looks good.

I think that you should add more drift wood though.... just a thought....
gars do not need driftwood, in fact it just impedes their swimming and is unnecessary.

congrats on keeping your FL gar for 11 years! that is quite the accomplishment and the fish is looking good. for tankmates i would suggest polypterus species and other gars...south American lungfish can also be a reasonable tankmate. good luck--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
oh my! i dont think ive been alive that long...

could have floating plants. to add on to e_americanus, african arowanas are pretty peaceful too. nothing silvery that you would mind losing.

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
nice gar.

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
Thanks a lot guys! I have had literally every tankmate you can think of (motoro rays, black aro, pbass, oscar, dovii..etc). I would like to get some sa/ca cichlids back in there. the problem is buying something already of size that he cannot eat. i will do some better aquascaping soon as well. thanks again for the responses.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store