Tell me whats going on guys.

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
ok i put a 55 gallon out side. temp in the tank is around low 70s . 1 small blue cichlid. no gravel or anything else. 2 filters It gets lots of sunlight so i expected some algae but now i'm confused.

for a while it was clear. then all of a sudden it starts getting brown algae that rapidly covered all the glass. even the bottom. i don't think i over feed cause i don't feed him every day. so...

I clean off the Brown Algae that came off real easy. i just wiped it. did about a 90% water change to go with it. filled it back up.

put the fish back the next day. also installed a water heater for the poor guy.

now less than a month later there is green algae growing. it's the type that you have to really scrape at with a razor when it gets bad.

what can i do. I don't have cash for a UV filter now. is there any chemicals? Ideas?

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
I have the same problem in my tank but in my case, I only get the brown algae. I also feed everyday and only gets the uneaten food in the morning because I feed the fish late at night. The brown algae appears approximately 3-4 days after my weekly 50-60% water change.

So how do we get rid of green and brown algae without a uv filter?

Eamiles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Lafayette, IN
From what I understand brown algae is a type that is affiliated with silica, so any products that you have that may include that could be a source. There is algae stuff that works, but it normally kills crustaceans and am pretty sure you are not supposed to put it in frequently.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
1) Can you block off three sides & top of the tank with background or paint?

2) Do the normal treatment (cover (to block out all light) for 4 days, don't feed and no peeking!).

3) Here's a bacteria with a Money back guarantee http://www.thepetstop.com/fish_shop/Miscellaneous/BI-AQUA.html

4) Put the fish in a tank inside and drain and clean the tank, dry & get a iguana or bearded lizard for it. ;)

Keeping algae out of this tank is going to be a daily battle.

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store