Gars...I can't find any to buy?

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
I want another gar to go with my 'Florida'. I live in England so if anyone finds a shop selling them let me know.
I have tried the usual online stores with no luck:(

AFelony

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
NJ
try aquascapeonline. I know they in the states so not sure if that helps you? Or try Shark Aquarium

cambo01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
chesterfield uk
Slippery;2748128; said:
I want another gar to go with my 'Florida'. I live in England so if anyone finds a shop selling them let me know.
I have tried the usual online stores with no luck:(
i just sold mone last week! where abouts in england?
wharf had some big ones in just before xmas so they might have some left
there was also someone in leister selling one at 9" on the uksales thread you could try pm'ing him to see if he still has it

cambo01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
chesterfield uk
the guy in leister who was selling one is called spwd you could try him

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
I have managed tob find a Ctenolucius hujeta but i am not sure whether that's a good idea to put in with the miami?

cambo01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
chesterfield uk
Slippery;2748191; said:
I have managed tob find a Ctenolucius hujeta but i am not sure whether that's a good idea to put in with the miami?
they are a pike characin not a gar and my 7" florida killed a 5" hujita so i wouldnt risk it

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
Sorry for double post but the term Lepisosteidae is that a term that would only describe a Gar?
I have had this discussion about this with a retailer who said the 'Rocket gar' is a gar on which i corrected him. i have read polypterus sticky and it's great but could i just confirn now what are the different gars as it's getting tricky.

i know of the miami ( which i was told was a spotted on which i corrected him) as i have one.

The spotted gar is another, can someone put me straight on the others as the retailers have not got a clue......:screwy:

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Slippery;2748360; said:
Sorry for double post but the term Lepisosteidae is that a term that would only describe a Gar?
I have had this discussion about this with a retailer who said the 'Rocket gar' is a gar on which i corrected him. i have read polypterus sticky and it's great but could i just confirn now what are the different gars as it's getting tricky.

i know of the miami ( which i was told was a spotted on which i corrected him) as i have one.

The spotted gar is another, can someone put me straight on the others as the retailers have not got a clue......:screwy:
Lepisosteidae:
Genus Atractosteus:
Atractosteus spatula Alligator Gar
Atractosteus tristoechus Cuban Gar
Atractosteus tropicus Tropical Gar
Genus Lepisosteus:
Lepisosteus osseus Longnosed Gar
Lepisosteus platostomus Shortnosed Gar
Lepisosteus platyrhincus Florida Gar
Lepisosteus oculatus Spotted gar
Please see http://www.primitivefishes.com/ for detailed photos of each species all the fish on our site are Identified and known examples of each.

Anything else but the above is NOT a Gar but either a Characin or Belonid. Characins and Belonids have nothing at all in common with Gars except for a common name...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store