Metal Monster 650 is it possible? in progress!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Finally have enough work done to talk about my build, need some advice from the masters, here are the Dimensions :

L108" W48" H29" (trying to get it through a door!)

Materials 2.5" x 1/8'' Steel angle frame, .5"x.5" solid square stock supports around the sides and back every 7.5", overkill i hope. I also have some removable top supports 2" x 3" box tube, each welded to a strip of 1/8"x4" for extra strength. plan on getting the frame sprayed with rhino liner or using epoxy paint.

With a steel frame what thickness of acrylic could i get away with?
im thinking 12mm cast, but the front viewing panel of the tank is only 24" x 87". i added more steel to the front to cut the cost as much as possible by using an 8ft. sheet insted of a 9ft. i overkilled again having the sides with 4.5" supporting the glass just to be safe.

Also ideas for the bottom,sides, and back . Its either wood or polypropolene

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
you might get away with 1/2" on that front pane but it will bulge like an SOB and you'll always be worrying about wet carpets. I'd recommend 3/4" for the peace of mind factor.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I wouldn't recommend 1/2" either. Bowing is unattractive.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Finally graduated college, got a real job, and can finish this long awaiting project. My metal frame has been completed by myself for 7 months now and its finally going to get its guts :headbang2. A Bonus at work helped me order 4 sheets of .5'' polypropolene and a 1 sheet of 3/4'' cast acrylic. Should be overkill as is the rest of the tank. You could hit it with a car and it would probably be ok. Also, plan on heat welding the seams together like JohnPTC. ****in stoked! ha...posting pics very soon.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Opening my studio with this project....its a mess ha! nothing worth taking pictures of yet....running electric this week, installing metal paneling for a welding area and making a small paint booth. soon as the junk is gone i can dig out my frame, take a pic and quit talking about it! :nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store