They just don't no wwhat they are talking about!

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
I asked for a spotted gar, the retailer says it is one, i say no it's a florida and you have them down as spotted.
They are all the same he says.

These are the Florida's he says....Guess what....They are Alligators

I give up....It's just pathetic and this is just about the biggest retailer in England:wall:

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
Slippery;2755820; said:
I asked for a spotted gar, the retailer says it is one, i say no it's a florida and you have them down as spotted.

I give up....It's just pathetic and this is just about the biggest retailer in England:wall:
Pay a Florida price for a Alligator

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Slippery;2755820; said:

to the best of my knowledge there aren't any significant differences you should be worrying about between spotted and floridas.

however ive recently had a similiar experience, and can understand how you feel. only think was i lost a fair bit of cash and had an unfair exchange. next time ask for a pic.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander13;2756045; said:
to the best of my knowledge there aren't any significant differences you should be worrying about between spotted and floridas.

however ive recently had a similiar experience, and can understand how you feel. only think was i lost a fair bit of cash and had an unfair exchange. next time ask for a pic.

yeah, to an LFS the difference between a Florida gar and a spotted gar means nothing...because from a financial standpoint to them, there is no difference. to people with a strong interest in gars, the difference may be important...but even in terms of husbandry, you can treat both species the same--
--solomon

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
Yes but as a purist they ARE different species and that bugs me!

Like you said if you are a fanatic.....................;)

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
well according to the best of my knowledge just by looking at it you wouldn't be able to tell the difference one way or another. so there's no point in being a purist in this case. unless you require it for further study, which i doubt.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
The chances of an LFS being able to either get or ID a particular gar species is rather remote. I'd just give up on that and save yourself some frustration...

Spotteds are also just not in the hobby and it is highly unlikely to find one. An LFS is just not going to be able to supply you with one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store