Cuban gars and dark aragonite substrate

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
if i have a tank full of black aragonite substrate, would the cubans turn dark too?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander13;2755911; said:
if i have a tank full of black aragonite substrate, would the cubans turn dark too?
they might, but it's very doubtful. i haven't noticed this to be the case (outside of stressed fish) with Cubans. they should retain their usual bronze color. since they have no actual pattern on the body, you won't notice the same contrast as you would in your Florida gars on the black substrate--
--solomon

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
i dont know. U should add aragonite any ways. no need to risk those beautys

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2756507; said:
i dont know. U should add aragonite any ways. no need to risk those beautys
i am using it. white aragonite, however it's washing out the rest of my fish, and i was thinking of another alternative:)

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
oh ok

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander13;2756868; said:
i am using it. white aragonite, however it's washing out the rest of my fish, and i was thinking of another alternative:)
white definitely washes out fish in most cases...this has been stated a while back, even in the gar forum.

that is the effect it has on my big gar tank...unfortunately they discontinued the black aragonite i used to get, so i had to go with white (with some black mixed in). the effect is less contrast pattern with the fishes, but at least with the stable water chemistry it's overall better for the fishes.

if you can get black, you can always mix it in--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
E_americanus;2758558; said:
white definitely washes out fish in most cases...this has been stated a while back, even in the gar forum.

that is the effect it has on my big gar tank...unfortunately they discontinued the black aragonite i used to get, so i had to go with white (with some black mixed in). the effect is less contrast pattern with the fishes, but at least with the stable water chemistry it's overall better for the fishes.

if you can get black, you can always mix it in--
--solomon
you mean you got aragonite continuously? coulld you elaborate on why?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store