Cross eyed Dat?

Prophet714

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2008
S. Cali
Hey MFK,

My Datnoid has a problem eating.. i'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. It seems like he only sees food directly in front of him.. anything that drops from above or to the side, he does not see. It's kinda sad when he swims around like he knows a market prawn just dropped, but cant find it, while the same time his tank mate is already trying to gobble it down. any thoughts? or anyone with the same issue? treatment?

thanks gusy. cheers!

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
Well, it's been a long time since my Neurophys course, but I doubt there's anything wrong with your Dat's eyesight. Fish and amphibians have their retinas wired to detect certain types or patterns of movement. For example, frogs have what's called a "moving edge detector" where retinal cells fire in a certain pattern as something crosses the visual field and this signals the brain that an insect is in proximity. I would say that "dropping" food near your Dat is not displaying the types of movement that this fish has evolved to detect. I see this once in a while with my own Dats. Toss a live feeder in there and see what happens.

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
dats are one of the few fish that can see how we see(as in seeing one object not two). not only that they can see behind them too. so i don't think it's his sight. but maybe he has something that prevents him from seeing when his eyes aren't fowards. i don't see why though.

menthod

Feeder Fish
Sep 22, 2007
s
I have 1 dat having the same problem. Upon close inspection. i found that both pupil drop downward at the bottom of the iris. I dun really know how to explain. But it just happen in 1 day. The fish however is not suffering from infection. The pupil juz drop but still attach to the iris. Anyone have similar experience?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store