Vieja bifasciatus, flowerhorn, butterkoferi, oscar

kmac11872

Feeder Fish
Jul 18, 2006
dumfries va
I got Vieja bifasciatus the butterkoferi and oscar together. Each one was about 1.5". They lived in a 29 gallon tank. By the time they were 3" the butterkoferi killed the oscar and was solo till he grew to about 8". Meanwhile in my 125 gallon lived the flowerhorn, Vieja bifasciatus and 5 tin foils, all were ablout 1.5-2" . After a foolish water change all the tin foils died but the cichlids were troopers and adapted. The flowerhorn tormented the bifa, constant chasing, fin nipping, etc. after reaching about eight inches I wanted the butterkoferi to have more room so I fed everyone, made a 20% water change, rearranged the scenery in the 125 gallon, and moved him to his new home. Initially the more dominant flowerhorn and the butterkoferi went at it. In the mean time the Vieja bifasciatus started dominating the other two to the point of almost killing the flowerhorn! I had to remove the bifa and place him in the 29 Gallon solo.. What was done wrong? Is there any hope for harmony? Can't they all just get along?

heavyhitter

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Nebraska
kmac11872;2763630; said:
I got Vieja bifasciatus the butterkoferi and oscar together. Each one was about 1.5". They lived in a 29 gallon tank. By the time they were 3" the butterkoferi killed the oscar and was solo till he grew to about 8". Meanwhile in my 125 gallon lived the flowerhorn, Vieja bifasciatus and 5 tin foils, all were ablout 1.5-2" . After a foolish water change all the tin foils died but the cichlids were troopers and adapted. The flowerhorn tormented the bifa, constant chasing, fin nipping, etc. after reaching about eight inches I wanted the butterkoferi to have more room so I fed everyone, made a 20% water change, rearranged the scenery in the 125 gallon, and moved him to his new home. Initially the more dominant flowerhorn and the butterkoferi went at it. In the mean time the Vieja bifasciatus started dominating the other two to the point of almost killing the flowerhorn! I had to remove the bifa and place him in the 29 Gallon solo.. What was done wrong? Is there any hope for harmony? Can't they all just get along?
no most likely they will not get along. Fish dont think like we do. they dont think to get along. They have instincts and defend their territory. 125 is not all that big. Most cichlids dont tolerate other cichlids that well especially of they are not raised up together.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
kmac11872;2763630; said:
What was done wrong?
Nothing, as far as I can tell. Sometimes fish just don't get along...

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
You have three extremely large bruisers in a tank that when all combined will seem small...

Dump one or get another 125 and see which two (if possible) will get along. I would love the Bifa!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store