Pike and Gar?

andy1985

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
London
Not sure which would getter responce either here or gar.

But i thinking of adding Gar to my tank already have 3 pikes but not sure how they would react because i know with africans they don't like ones with same colour and shape does it mean the same with pikes?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
andy1985;2765205; said:
Not sure which would getter responce either here or gar.

But i thinking of adding Gar to my tank already have 3 pikes but not sure how they would react because i know with africans they don't like ones with same colour and shape does it mean the same with pikes?
are these pike cichlids or are they true pikes (Esocids such as northern pike, muskellunge, pickerel)? if they are the latter then i would not attempt it as one or the other could be eaten depending on size, and the pikes would eventually get beaten up by the gars. if they are pike cichlids it MIGHT work as i have seen it done, but have not kept the combo myself--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
pike cichlids are pretty aggressive and would punk all the other fish in the tank. thou it left the cubans alone. i would not attempt it unless the gar had a good 3/2 size advantage

andy1985

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
London
ahh ok i see how it goes if anything i would take the pikes out. Coz i really want to keep some gars look so cool.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander13;2765356; said:
pike cichlids are pretty aggressive and would punk all the other fish in the tank. thou it left the cubans alone. i would not attempt it unless the gar had a good 3/2 size advantage
what kind of math is that xander? you mean 1.5 x bigger? :p

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
E_americanus;2765615; said:
what kind of math is that xander? you mean 1.5 x bigger? :p
well..:D okay yes that's what i meant. bear in mind im no pike expert, and this is a very very rough estimate, using a pike cichlid i had in my tank, which was considered mellow by pike standards, but would still punk everyone except the cuban gars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store