Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
cool

Koji

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
But ain;t the sex of these crab determinded by the shape of that thing under them? The trianglular one is male and a semi circle looking one will be female?

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
sleepyflight said:
Its not a hermaphro. if you read the entire article. Its a bilateral gene split. The circus thing of the half man/half women is what this is an example of, and yes....the article does say that it has both sex organs.
I was just fooling around on my first post. But now that you mentioned that it has both male and female organs, isnt that the very definition of a hermaprodite?
maybe i need to go to sleep now..

sleepyflight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
to get detailed....yes it could but.... To qualify as a hermaphrodite you only have to have both sex organs ie. two test., two ovaries, penis, and vagina. This animial is precisely split down the middle! As if it were to have one testical, one ovary, one breast etc. You could say this is an extraordinarily detailed hermaphrodite or, as in the article a bilateral gynandromorph. I would also have to say hermaphroditic occurances are more common since it is a more simple genetic screw up. To have two perfect but opposite halfs I'm sure would be a bit more difficult for nature to pull off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store